BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
VictorH
Captain
 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

Posts: 602
iTrader: (1)

In an ideal world (brakes)

Right now I'm reasonably satisfied with track pads and high temp fluid on the otherwise stock e90 M3 brake system. Usually I'll change to track pads one week before an event (this is my daily driver) which scuffs the stock pad material off the disc and then I bed the track pads in before or during the first session of the day. This works fine for 2 day events, however when I did the 5 day event at the BMWCCA O'Fest last year I had a pulsating brake pedal by day 4 which got worse by day 5 (the disc didn't really look any different to me, other than a bit blue). Driving home 1,100 miles and a few more days to work cured this and putting the stock pads on was fine.

I'm doing the 5 day O'Fest this year again and I'm wondering (here's the question finally) is it worth having a set of rotors that I change out with my track pads so that I always have a matching pair rather then using the same rotors for both street and track use (they are stock ones)?

I;m running a set of Pagid RS19 pads that I got from a fellow member who sold his car. I'm happy with the pad performance and just ordered a new set of rears, but I'm wondering if things would be better if I also had a dedicated set of rotors to go with the track pads. Does anyone do this? I've not really heard of it so perhaps it's not worth the bother.
VictorH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Victor I would recommend the Stoptech BBK. The 4-pot front/rear is plenty and you will not have to change the pads before tracking. ST's standard street/performance pad is great on both the street and the track. I know this requires a larger investment that just pads/rotors but the convenience of not having to do anything to go from the street to the track and back is more than worth it IMO.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Swapping rotors requires you to remove the caliper carrier IRRC, but I don't remember the details so maybe that is not the case. That would be too much of pain IMO every time you want to go to the track. Changing pads is enough of a pain with this caliper design to begin with...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 927
iTrader: (4)

From the sounds of it, you got some pad material build-up on the rotors. The "cure" for that is usually to brake a little earlier and run a little cooler.

As for changing rotors from stock to track, I personally wouldn't bother. It's not difficult (yes, you have to unbolt the caliper bracket, but it's only two bolts per caliper) but the benefits are limited. Think of it this way - if you had a pulsating pedal at the end of day 4 and swapped out the rotors, then at the start of day 1 the next time out, you'd still have a pulsating pedal.

Having said that, I do swap rotors when I go from track to street pads, although not when I change track pads from one type to another. I can do that because my Mustang has OEM Brembo's and the one-piece (genuine made in Italy Brembo) rotors only cost $100 each from my local Ford dealer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Right now I'm reasonably satisfied with track pads and high temp fluid on the otherwise stock e90 M3 brake system. Usually I'll change to track pads one week before an event (this is my daily driver) which scuffs the stock pad material off the disc and then I bed the track pads in before or during the first session of the day. This works fine for 2 day events, however when I did the 5 day event at the BMWCCA O'Fest last year I had a pulsating brake pedal by day 4 which got worse by day 5 (the disc didn't really look any different to me, other than a bit blue). Driving home 1,100 miles and a few more days to work cured this and putting the stock pads on was fine.

I'm doing the 5 day O'Fest this year again and I'm wondering (here's the question finally) is it worth having a set of rotors that I change out with my track pads so that I always have a matching pair rather then using the same rotors for both street and track use (they are stock ones)?

I;m running a set of Pagid RS19 pads that I got from a fellow member who sold his car. I'm happy with the pad performance and just ordered a new set of rears, but I'm wondering if things would be better if I also had a dedicated set of rotors to go with the track pads. Does anyone do this? I've not really heard of it so perhaps it's not worth the bother.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #5
VictorH
Captain
 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

Posts: 602
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess once I wear out this set of track pads I'll switch over to a BBK. Too bad no one has come up with a decent vented front brake kit as I bet some extra cooling would go a long way.
VictorH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
ring007
Major
 
ring007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 GT3RS & '13 Cayenne GTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ///Iowa

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (13)

Simply wipe the rotors down with windex. Takes all the buildup off and rotors And they will feel like new.
ring007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Too bad no one has come up with a decent vented front brake kit as I bet some extra cooling would go a long way.
I thought PFC is selling replacement rotors for the OEM caliper, which should have better cooling. No?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
VictorH
Captain
 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

Posts: 602
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
Simply wipe the rotors down with windex. Takes all the buildup off and rotors And they will feel like new.
Really? Just spray both sides and wipe? How can that work? I'm willing to try anything.

Lucid, sorry I was not clear, not a vented rotor but what I think we need is ducting for the brakes to properly cool/vent the rotor.
VictorH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Victor, I would simply do a StopTech 380 mm front BBK (plus rears if budget allows). It comes with Street Performance pads which work very well on the track. No need to ever change pads before/after track days.

Nowadays in 100+ degree weather, my engine would overheat before my BBK shows any indication of fade.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
ring007
Major
 
ring007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 GT3RS & '13 Cayenne GTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ///Iowa

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (13)

works for me everytime I use the presoaked windex towels that come in the plastic can. Remove the wheel, and spin the rotors (front) and get as much of the back as you can. Good as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Really? Just spray both sides and wipe? How can that work? I'm willing to try anything.

Lucid, sorry I was not clear, not a vented rotor but what I think we need is ducting for the brakes to properly cool/vent the rotor.
ring007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

I have the StopTech kit, ST-60/380 front, and ST-40/355 rear. It is an excellent system, and the ST high performance street pads provided are as close as you will come to a dual purpose pad. With that said, it will not compare to the Pagid 19 for track use, especially in durability. Obviously, this depends on a lot of variables, but I would not expect them to last through the 5 day session you plan. On the positive side, they are not very expensive, and are easy to change.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,785
iTrader: (291)

which BBK provides the easiest way to change pads? Is it AP?
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)

I heard that stoptech is extremely easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
which BBK provides the easiest way to change pads? Is it AP?
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,482
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I heard that stoptech is extremely easy.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Yup. 4 small bolts, remove bridge, replace pads, tighten bolts. And that's it. 10 min each corner.
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #16
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
which BBK provides the easiest way to change pads? Is it AP?
Brembo's front has more to do then AP or Stoptech, but the rears are fairly easy. It's just a matter of how fast you can remove the front caliper.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 927
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
Brembo's front has more to do then AP or Stoptech, but the rears are fairly easy. It's just a matter of how fast you can remove the front caliper.
Even the OEM Brembo's on the front of my 2011 Mustang GT are easier to change than that! They're good brakes too.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (12)

It's weird because the STI brakes have a removable bridge, too. I don't know what came over Brembo when they decided to ad a fixed bridge on the caliper. But it's no big deal, just a little bit more time.
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST