BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM Sport

08-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Tonifyd
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011.75 JB E90M3 6MT

iPhone 4 cradle no video!!

When you connect the iphone to the cradle, normally the video icon turns white and you can click it. All of a sudden that icon is grayed out and can not be clicked.

Yes, I do have the right cradle, since I have been using it all the time, and one day it stopped working.

Any ideas? Do I have a faulty cradle? argh!!
      08-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonifyd View Post
When you connect the iphone to the cradle, normally the video icon turns white and you can click it. All of a sudden that icon is grayed out and can not be clicked.

Yes, I do have the right cradle, since I have been using it all the time, and one day it stopped working.

Any ideas? Do I have a faulty cradle? argh!!
Try completely rebooting your phone, popping the MEDIA cradle out and back in? I remember when I first got the car the video icon appeared but videos wouldn't start playing (even though I could see them listed) and the next day after some combination of doing those it worked.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      08-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Tonifyd
Lieutenant

I tried all of that and it did nothing.
I finally got it to work tho.
I deleted all the videos and then just reloaded them on to the phone.

Another annoyance of this device. Sometimes the video will show in proper full screen, sometimes it's smaller and skewed to the left a little. Really damn annoying. I know it has nothing to do with the iphone's view settings, as it does the same whether the phone is in full view/fit to screen view. The only way for me to get out of this, and into full view is if I open the folder and choose another video and repeat this process till it all of a sudden resizes to full screen. real friggin annoying.
      08-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
I tried all of that and it did nothing.
I finally got it to work tho.
I deleted all the videos and then just reloaded them on to the phone.

Another annoyance of this device. Sometimes the video will show in proper full screen, sometimes it's smaller and skewed to the left a little. Really damn annoying. I know it has nothing to do with the iphone's view settings, as it does the same whether the phone is in full view/fit to screen view. The only way for me to get out of this, and into full view is if I open the folder and choose another video and repeat this process till it all of a sudden resizes to full screen. real friggin annoying.
It's new software, it's bound to be full of bugs these days when the mentality is "get it out asap and fix bugs with updates later". That said, I don't use video very much because frankly I don't watch video while driving and don't sit in my car idle long enough to justify watching video. The only part of BMW Apps I've turned out to use is Pandora, so the cradle turned out to be a bit of an unnecessary purchase (bought it because I thought PlugIn would be cool, and it is, but iDrive's iPod interface is excellent too). The only real convenience to the cradle for me has been the ability to charge two iPhones at the same time.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
      08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Tonifyd
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
It's new software, it's bound to be full of bugs these days when the mentality is "get it out asap and fix bugs with updates later". That said, I don't use video very much because frankly I don't watch video while driving and don't sit in my car idle long enough to justify watching video. The only part of BMW Apps I've turned out to use is Pandora, so the cradle turned out to be a bit of an unnecessary purchase (bought it because I thought PlugIn would be cool, and it is, but iDrive's iPod interface is excellent too). The only real convenience to the cradle for me has been the ability to charge two iPhones at the same time.
I loaded up my iphone with music videos, and have video in motion, so I listen to the music, while passengers watch the videos. It's a great feature that way.

I use a USB flash drive for mp3s.

Technically including the cradle, you can charge 3 iphones at once. lol. one with the charger, one with the usb slot, and the other usb slot in the glove compartment

At the rate they are going wit 0 updates, the iphone 5 will be out before a proper update, and the cradle will then render itself useless..

Pandora worked for me wihout the cradle, so I guess you didn't need the cradle for pandora huh..

The plug in feature for me is pretty cool, as it supports different languages in the song titles. I'm not sure why this only works in the plug in feature, and not in the idrive interface...

plus web radio can only work if you open the bmw connect app on the iphone first....

integration at its best..
      08-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
I loaded up my iphone with music videos, and have video in motion, so I listen to the music, while passengers watch the videos. It's a great feature that way.

At the rate they are going wit 0 updates, the iphone 5 will be out before a proper update, and the cradle will then render itself useless..

Pandora worked for me wihout the cradle, so I guess you didn't need the cradle for pandora huh..

The plug in feature for me is pretty cool, as it supports different languages in the song titles. I'm not sure why this only works in the plug in feature, and not in the idrive interface...

plus web radio can only work if you open the bmw connect app on the iphone first....

integration at its best..
Hmm, didn't think about music videos, I guess that makes sense. Music videos don't exist for most of the music I listen to.

Agreed on the iPhone 5. There's a CHANCE the next-gen iPhone will have the same look as the iPhone 4 in which case the cradle MIGHT continue to work (like the 3G and 3GS use the same cradle) but I'm not holding my breath.

The reason PlugIn supports other languages and iDrive doesn't is simply because the iPhone has fonts to render those languages and iDrive doesn't. PlugIn is a video image generated locally on the iPhone, which means anything it can render can be displayed on iDrive. The iDrive's native iPod interface is processed within iDrive, which apparently doesn't handle other languages very well.

I haven't looked into the Web radio on BMW Connected much, preferring Pandora overall, but I guess I should look into it. I wish I didn't have to launch BMW Connected or Pandora for them to work, but I guess I should blame Apple for that.

I knew the only things that required the cradle were video playback and PlugIn so no surprise there. The only surprise was that the iDrive iPod interface was so good -- plus unlike PlugIn the iDrive interface shows the music details are in the split screen setup. I ordered the cradle when I ordered my car so I didn't know how good iDrive was beforehand. Ah well, at least charging 2 phones is handy, though in hindsight I probably wouldn't get the cradle again -- we'll see what I do whenever I get a new iPhone. At least I got a better price on the cradle since it was a preorder.

Last edited by jphughan; 08-16-2011 at 07:16 PM.
      08-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
NFAM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Ok. Help me out here. I have BMW apps and I have the video cradle. Where exactly are the videos you guys are playing? I'm trying to play videos that I've taken myself with the phone that are in my photos folder. Can I play these?