BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
CoonsA
New Member
CoonsA's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
12
Posts

 
Drives: Searching for BMW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (0)

The GT-R is a V6 TT and it's a monster, I can't wait to see how great the M3 will be when it has a similar set-up! The M-Division does not dissapoint.


I just hope the redline stays high and the weight is low...
__________________
The Chicago Blackhawks are World Champions!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #24
Seattle S65B40
Major
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
1,396
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonsA View Post
The GT-R is a V6 TT and it's a monster, I can't wait to see how great the M3 will be when it has a similar set-up! The M-Division does not dissapoint.


I just hope the redline stays high and the weight is low...
Agreed. But how high is high enough?
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
3,472
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
To me, it is all about how BMW implements the TT engine. For those who say today that the e92 will be their last M3, I think that is a little premature. Granted, BMW could have an engine that is like the 335i and take something away from the car. Or, BMW could have an engine that performs like the GTR, 911 TT, etc. They could have a high redline for a TT, they could eliminate noticeable lag, there are lots of things they can do to get it "right."

Everyone freaked out when the V8 was announced as it was against BMW tradition in the M. Everyone is freaking out now too. Maybe it will disappoint but maybe it will be awesome. It is WAY, WAY too early to judge just because the word turbo is used.

My bet, and I've said it before, is that a huge portion of people who say they won't get the next M3 because it is a turbo will end up buying one. Why do I think this? I believe (maybe naively) that BMW M will get it right. The engine will be 450+hp, 400 ft. lbs torque, rev to 7,500 RPM and have no lag. The next M3 will beat the snot out of the E92 in all measureable ways and then the converts will come
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #26
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Chrisfast's Avatar
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: Moped
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Agreed. But how high is high enough?
19,000 rpms. That is probably high enough.

I think it will be a V5, 6 turbos, Direct Injected, with redundant port injection too. Let us not forget that it will be a hybrid electric, diesel, gas motor. Oh, and the icing on the cake will be that it will run on bio-diesel.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I really hope the next M3 will be on par with the GTR, but the only way BMW is going to do that is remember the weight has got to stay down. Let's hope that with the new President of BMWNA has some pull to make sure the next M3 is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #27
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
I'm betting on 3-turbos. AutoCar wrote that article, AutoBlog just reposted it. So the only source saying it will be TT is autocar.
TT could stand for Triple Turbo, as well as Twin Turbo!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #28
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
PhillyNate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The more I read anything about the upcoming M3 the more I'm convinced this current generation is the last purpose built M3 ever. Yeah the next one will be purpose built as well but driver focus will be compromised with an emphasis on fuel economy. An ingredient I believe is going to conspire to ruin the car for the enthusiast. I understand what BMW must do here, but I don't have to like it or buy it.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #29
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
amdmaxx's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,355
Posts

 
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Or why spend millions to develop a new 4 when de-tuned M3 TT Inline 6 would do a marvelous job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The question is though whether BMW can market an inline-4 M2 when there's also an inline-6 235i. People might feel like 'downgrading'.


Best regards,
south
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,838
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

True southlight.

But, we don't know for sure if there will be a 235 yet, right? There could be a 230is instead (for example) with a N20 @ 280hp or so.

Also, recall that the E30 M3 was an I4 while the E30 325i was an I6. They could repeat that again. While I agree with you that it might be tougher to market, it seems plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
The question is though whether BMW can market an inline-4 M2 when there's also an inline-6 235i. People might feel like 'downgrading'.


Best regards,
south
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #31
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
T

Everyone freaked out when the V8 was announced as it was against BMW tradition in the M. Everyone is freaking out now too. Maybe it will disappoint but maybe it will be awesome. It is WAY, WAY too early to judge just because the word turbo is used.

My bet, and I've said it before, is that a huge portion of people who say they won't get the next M3 because it is a turbo will end up buying one. Why do I think this? I believe (maybe naively) that BMW M will get it right. The engine will be 450+hp, 400 ft. lbs torque, rev to 7,500 RPM and have no lag. The next M3 will beat the snot out of the E92 in all measureable ways and then the converts will come
+10

(even though I'm planning to get an E92 before they're gone...)
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #32
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
183
Rep
13,838
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Or why spend millions to develop a new 4 when de-tuned M3 TT Inline 6 would do a marvelous job..
Taken to its logical end that falls down quick. Why not just power every BMW with an N74 V12? Packaging, efficiency, weight, cost, etc all apply, as they do in the I4 vs. I6 case as well.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
fishskis
Private
4
Rep
57
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
To me, it is all about how BMW implements the TT engine. For those who say today that the e92 will be their last M3, I think that is a little premature. Granted, BMW could have an engine that is like the 335i and take something away from the car. Or, BMW could have an engine that performs like the GTR, 911 TT, etc. They could have a high redline for a TT, they could eliminate noticeable lag, there are lots of things they can do to get it "right."

Everyone freaked out when the V8 was announced as it was against BMW tradition in the M. Everyone is freaking out now too. Maybe it will disappoint but maybe it will be awesome. It is WAY, WAY too early to judge just because the word turbo is used.

My bet, and I've said it before, is that a huge portion of people who say they won't get the next M3 because it is a turbo will end up buying one. Why do I think this? I believe (maybe naively) that BMW M will get it right. The engine will be 450+hp, 400 ft. lbs torque, rev to 7,500 RPM and have no lag. The next M3 will beat the snot out of the E92 in all measureable ways and then the converts will come
Plus one. As much as I love this car, I suspect the next version will be calling my name, as it always does.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Next M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
Plus one. As much as I love this car, I suspect the next version will be calling my name, as it always does.
Same here. Much as I loved my E46 (first one in Oregon), and E92 (first one in Oregon), more torque qould be especially welcome, as long as the car doesn't get heavier or luxed out. I may have the first one in Oregon again if it's promising.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #35
e46e92love
Brigadier General
e46e92love's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
3,059
Posts

 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
True southlight.

But, we don't know for sure if there will be a 235 yet, right? There could be a 230is instead (for example) with a N20 @ 280hp or so.

Also, recall that the E30 M3 was an I4 while the E30 325i was an I6. They could repeat that again. While I agree with you that it might be tougher to market, it seems plausible.
+1.....that is exactly what I have been thinking.......I would be shocked if anything larger than the N20 goes in the 1/2 regular series cars.

Cheers,
e46e92
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,450
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Again BS news. The M3 is either getting a Tripple-Turbo 3.0l I6 or a 3.3l V6. The M2 is getting a Twin-Turbo 2.0l I4.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #37
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

There's no V6 coming. SCOTT26 already confirmed I6. Besides, I6 makes the most sense financially, and likely logistically, as far as mating it to the car, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #38
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Turbos etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Again BS news. The M3 is either getting a Tripple-Turbo 3.0l I6 ...
If the third "turbo" is electric powered as rumored, wouldn't it technically be a supercharger?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #39
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,450
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

I don't know anything about the third turbo but it won't be a simple supercharger, rather an electric supercharger.
SCOTT confirmed it wil be an I6, it is not 100% sure. When SCOTT said the 1M E82 was getting a new TT I6 hat would be further developped for the M3 F3X, at the end it was nothing else than a Z4 sDrive3is engine, that indeed is an N54 slightly moddified by M GmbH. It is not SCOTT how decides whether it is going to be a V6 or I6. I yet keep my hopes for V6.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #40
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Uli_HH's Avatar
Germany
32
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hamburg Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Again BS news. The M3 is either getting a Tripple-Turbo 3.0l I6 or a 3.3l V6. The M2 is getting a Twin-Turbo 2.0l I4.
Little correction ... to my infos its 3.2ltr.I6 or 3.3ltr.V6 - both in TriTurbo-Layout.

Both engines have been developed ... in the moment the cheaper 3.2ltr.I6 is favored (here is Scott right!) but BMW/M-GmbH could also change this descission until the M3 specs were fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
102
Rep
6,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

I really don't care if the car doesn't rev to 8.4k. If it has 450hp and 400 ft. lb. I'll be more than happy. I love the s65 but don't care if the new one revs less.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #42
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,450
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli_HH View Post
Little correction ... to my infos its 3.2ltr.I6 or 3.3ltr.V6 - both in TriTurbo-Layout.

Both engines have been developed ... in the moment the cheaper 3.2ltr.I6 is favored (here is Scott right!) but BMW/M-GmbH could also change this descission until the M3 specs were fixed.
So it is really a 3.2l I6? Is it then a bored or strked N54/N55? I wonder what is the purpose of it. Or could it be M GmbH is working on replumbing and turbocharging the old S54? That would be something interesting. If not I still continue hope they chose back the V6.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #43
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Or could it be M GmbH is working on replumbing and turbocharging the old S54?
Nope.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #44
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Or could it be M GmbH is working on replumbing and turbocharging the old S54? That would be something interesting.
Can't ever see them going back to an iron block engine with mechanical valves.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 08-18-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST