BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

08-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
Daniel135i
Banned

Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
2005 SRT-4  [3.50]
Exclamation Stealing our Servicmens Retirement!!!!

They call it a "reform" We who serve, call it an outright theft!

http://www.militarytimes.com/forum/s...ment-Targeted!

Please. If you care, help a veteran who gave 20 years to not get fucked sideways by shitty politicians.

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml

Contact your Representatives here please. Follow the letter format in the above link. Do your servicemen and woman a favor please.

http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2011/07/s...etirement.html
Daniel135i is offline   Italy
      08-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
swaite
High School Dropout

Drives: 2008 135i

Nobody is taking away anybody who has already retired. And I'm sure anybody who is close to 20, maybe 10-15 years, would be grandfathered in by year groups once the new plan is implemented. The new plan also includes TSP (DOD 401k for those who don't know) contribution matching (up to a certain percentage or dollar amount, can't recall exact details) which they do not do now.

I believe this is a step in the right direction. There is a lot going into making this change.
      08-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #3
Daniel135i
Banned

Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.00]
2005 SRT-4  [3.50]
No, There is no "grandfather" clause for those not already retired, doesnt matter if you have amonth left untill you hit 20. This shit is going to fuck over the military, period. All of us who came in expecting (as promised) a retirement check after 20 years is getting fucked. We wont get anything untill the regular retirment age... hows that benefit anyone who has served and is relying on the current retirment plan to hold them over??? Then, on top of that if the market fluctuates and the goverment loses all of the TSP money, we dont get paid. Its bullshit. No choice, no adjustments, and if you havent already been putting into TSP, your out that much more. When the new plan would start to pay out, it pays out 1/4 of what the current plan pays.

If you think its a step in the right direction, you are far from seeing the truth.
Daniel135i is offline   Italy
      08-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
swaite
High School Dropout

Drives: 2008 135i

From the link you provided:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER56 @ militarytimes.com forum;
They've changed the military retirement system three times already in my lifetime, and each time it only affected those who joined after the change. Those already on active duty kept the retirement plan that was in effect when they signed up.

Like it or not, it's a valid issue -- the US is spending money it doesn't have and we need to get out of the red. I assume that most of us in this forum can think of lots of other places to cut spending instead of cutting the military's funding. Heck, I think we need a bigger budget -- specifically for the Army to afford the personnel and equipment it needs to do its job so those of us in the AF and Navy can go back to doing our jobs.

But let's face it, our benefits package ain't too shabby and it's no surprise it's under scrutiny with the deficit being such a hot issue. I read this quote in an article about this very topic by Tom Philpott: "I've heard a four-star military leader comment that DoD is turning into a benefits company that will occasionally kill a terrorist," Punaro said in a phone interview Tuesday.
This guy has probably had less drinks than I have and can say it better than I can.

Yes, people in office get payed too much/haven't served/blahblahaghbjks. We all know this. The amount of money they make is so minute compared to the amount of money a new plan has the potential to save. You were planning on living off of your pension? Ever heard of not putting all your eggs in one basket? The amount of money you would receive is quite generous, but I don't think you would even be above the poverty line unless you are planning on retiring as an O-7 or something after 20 years.

I don't exactly know the difference between a regular 401k and TSP but I would assume the same thing can happen to a 401k. And if all my TSP money somehow disappeared there are probably much bigger issues at hand than "where did my retirement money go?".

I think it would do you well to step back and look at the bigger picture instead of worrying about your pension.

Last edited by swaite; 08-07-2011 at 03:56 AM.
swaite is offline   United_States
      08-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

^ This.

If you planned on living off a military retirement for the rest of your life and getting a check just for breathing - you planned wrong.

I left after 12 years and everyone kept asking me "Do another 8 and you'll be set!". That entitlement mentality is exactly what's making us broke, honorable profession or not.

You join to serve a higher cause, not for a higher income bracket.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
      08-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
You join to serve a higher cause, not for a higher income bracket.

Please. Majority of people join because its a good job with good benefits. It's the best job you could have without any education.
      08-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
E90SoFlo
Banned

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
Please. Majority of people join because its a good job with good benefits. It's the best job you could have without any education.
Actually most people join to get away from where they are.
      08-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Bird_Dr

Drives: 2011 LeMans 335i

Quote:

s3.amazonaws.com/thf_media/2008/pdf/cda08-05.pdf

From the report:

"American soldiers are more educated than their peers. A little more than 1 percent of enlisted personnel lack a high school degree, compared to 21 percent of men 18–24 years old, and 95 percent of officer accessions have at least a bachelor’s degree."

The report also dispels all the other BS about the military being made up of lower income (the poverty draft) and that minorities are dispraportionately represented.
Bird_Dr is offline   Italy
      08-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

The right or wrong of this aside, this will fundamentally change the composition of the force in ways not yet appreciated. A draft doesn't work, we proved that. And a professional force has produced what American's have grown to expect--wins generated (largely) by the presence and perpetuation of a professional noncommissioned officer corp. Whether or not this will continue is an open question.

It may be that a much smaller force is the only way forward from a pure affordability aspect.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      08-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
This won't even be hard. I'll take a stab at dispelling the fog of liberal bias you live in. Here the choice quotes from Heritage's last assessment of the Military Population (link here):

Quote:
Additionally, in the most recent edition of Population Representation in the Military Services, the Department of Defense reported that the mean reading level of 2004 recruits is a full grade level higher than that of the comparable youth population.
Quote:
Only 1.2 percent of Marine Corps recruits for the first three quarters of fiscal year 2006 scored in Category IV ..the nature of AFQT scoring indicates that 20 percent of the comparable civilian population would score below Category IV.
Quote:
The national median published in Census 2000 was $41,994. This indicates that, on average, the 2004 and 2005 recruit populations come from even wealthier areas than their peers who enlisted in 1999 and 2003
So recent recruits have a better education level than their civilian peers and come from middle-income families of modest means and opportunity. Not the liberal tripe that the military is the bastion of last resort for people.

It's even more striking considering that the last 10+ years have been a wartime enlistment - no person of their right mind joined for "just a job".

Next time ask a vet, this was embarrassing.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob