BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

08-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Mahmood07
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

CEL and Dealership visit

I've had my Primary cats deleted, and the CEL is on. I was wondering, what if I needed to go to the dealership for a 'replace brake lamp' or something? What do I say if they ask why is there a CEL? Is it ok to tell them I removed the primary cats?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Mahmood07 is offline   Bahrain
      08-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
I've had my Primary cats deleted, and the CEL is on. I was wondering, what if I needed to go to the dealership for a 'replace brake lamp' or something? What do I say if they ask why is there a CEL? Is it ok to tell them I removed the primary cats?
depends on the dealership
      08-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Dan Halen
Sheetrock Intl.

Drives: 2008 GT2... leaving soon.

I brought my SA a bottle of black label Johnny walker when I first met him. At 1200 mile service I had already removed the cats and had a cel- told him I understood he couldn't change/fix it. He still asked some higher ups at BMW if there was a way he could code his "friends" car to fix it. Treating your SA nice goes a long way me thinks. He always tells me if I need anything just ask.
      08-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
luigimaster24
Captain

Drives: 2013 F12 M6 & 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Halen View Post
I brought my SA a bottle of black label Johnny walker when I first met him. At 1200 mile service I had already removed the cats and had a cel- told him I understood he couldn't change/fix it. He still asked some higher ups at BMW if there was a way he could code his "friends" car to fix it. Treating your SA nice goes a long way me thinks. He always tells me if I need anything just ask.
That is the way to start your first service with a new car. Was your SA able to remove the CEl btw?
luigimaster24 is offline   Mexico
      08-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
mike33176
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 Jerez/ Black, E90 M3

Send a message via ICQ to mike33176
The CEL won't go away until you get a tune without cats. Just be honest with your SA from the beginning. If there's apprehention, go to another dealer. My SA takes care of mine, my mom's, my brothers, his 3 business partners and 2 of my uncles cars. He will do anything for us. I had a TCU issue and the car wouldn't go into gear. I had my car flat bedded to the dealer on a Sunday not knowing my SA was off that Monday. I got a call from another SA and he said thet the TCU unit some how got wet and it's not covered and it would be $1200+. I said very calmly, just have my SA call me tomorrow. My guy called me in the am and told me the car would be ready the next day at no charge and told me he filled my tires with nitrogen for free, just because he was upset that I was told I would have to be responsible(from the other SA) for the repair. Be honest with them, give them a BTL, a tip or, a referral every once in a while and they'll take care of you.

Last edited by mike33176; 08-07-2011 at 12:14 PM.
mike33176 is offline   United_States
      08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

get a tune. more power & no cel. i went with powerchip

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike33176 View Post
The CEL won't go away until you get a tune without cats. Just be honest with your SA from the beginning. If there's apprehention, go to another dealer. My SA takes care of mine, my mom's, my brothers, his 3 business partners and 2 of my uncles cars. He will do anything for us. I had a TCU issue and the car wouldn't go into gear. I had my car flat bedded to the dealer on a Sunday not knowing my SA was off that Monday. I got a call from another SA and he said thet the TCU unit some how got wet and it's not covered and it would be $1200+. I said very calmly, just have my SA call me tomorrow. He called me in the am and told me the car would be ready the next day at no charge and filled my tires with nitrogen. Be honest with them, give them a BTL or a tip every once in a while and they'll take care of you.
that's awesome

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran