BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
 
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellotape View Post
Evo certainly did not in their big MP12-4c vs. 458 shootout last month. It's a far better and balanced magazine than C&D.
Agreed. EVO is by far the best car magazine in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Of course they (C&D) did. Typical car rag. The M is fast no doubt but I do doubt it is consistently pulling off 3.9s. Regardless 0-60 is so meaningless. 0-100, 120 even 150 tell the true story. This applies to the turbo as well. 2.9, 3.1 WTF does it really matter. 6.3 to 100 as Shift@red pointed out is something! The .2 turbo S's 0-150 is also crazy!!!
Agreed. Hence why I said it has to have the perfect conditions. The Turbo S is simply amazing. New dream car? I think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
What are the numbers with launch control?



PS the 911 Turbo...
Good question. I'm not sure.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #46
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Your dreaming. There's a huge delay from the time you step on the gas and the time the turbo kicks in, in any gear your in.
Very untrue from my experience with my .1 turbo. Yes lag can be minimally present in certain conditions but it is definitely not a problem. The .2s, too include the S, have the same VTG turbos and minimal lag. PDK also lessens any lag.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #47
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Very untrue from my experience with my .1 turbo. Yes lag can be minimally present in certain conditions but it is definitely not a problem. The .2s, too include the S, have the same VTG turbos and minimal lag. PDK also lessens any lag.
I guess we all have a difference of opinion. I'm just used to the instant predictable power in my NA m3 and 911. I drove the 911 turbo s for a good 20 minutes or so and was blown away by how beautiful and fast it was but the lag was there and the power delivery was not easy to modulate or predict IMO However I am bias, Not a fan of turbo cars in general. I will hold on to my 997s for a few more years, maybe get the 991 when it gets a midlife power bump.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #48
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I guess we all have a difference of opinion. I'm just used to the instant predictable power in my NA m3 and 911. I drove the 911 turbo s for a good 20 minutes or so and was blown away by how beautiful and fast it was but the lag was there and the power delivery was not easy to modulate or predict IMO However I am bias, Not a fan of turbo cars in general. I will hold on to my 997s for a few more years, maybe get the 991 when it gets a midlife power bump.
I can't really disagree with you there, which is part of the reason I sold the turbo and got the .2 GT3; which is the best car I have ever owned. I do think that the 991 will be a great car and the mid-life power bump ~as you say~ should be very nice! I am also hoping the next GT3/RS is as good as I am hearing. But, yeah high revving NA for me too.

I will say that my .1 turbo without PDK was stupid fast. Kind of like Kirk asking Scottie for warp 8 and Scottie delivering. I can only imagine what another 50 hp, PDK and a few less lbs does.

BTW, I never noticed the minor occasional lag in my 335 until I got my GT3.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #49
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I can't really disagree with you there, which is part of the reason I sold the turbo and got the .2 GT3; which is the best car I have ever owned. I do think that the 991 will be a great car and the mid-life power bump ~as you say~ should be very nice! I am also hoping the next GT3/RS is as good as I am hearing. But, yeah high revving NA for me too.

I will say that my .1 turbo without PDK was stupid fast. Kind of like Kirk asking Scottie for warp 8 and Scottie delivering. I can only imagine what another 50 hp, PDK and a few less lbs does.

BTW, I never noticed the minor occasional lag in my 335 until I got my GT3.
Gt3 is a whole different ball game. A masterpiece IMO. Nothing like a high revvin engine that screams past 8k. Mmmmm mmmm mmmm.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #50
Bruce AaLee
New Member
 
Bruce AaLee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arlington, TX

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

I drove my friends 977 turbo a week ago and all i can say is that there was no noticeable lag as long as I was in the right gear when I got on it. I know that sounds like an obvious statement but when you think of it, a E92/93 M3 does not have alot of low end torque so kinda feels laggy too under ~3000. A Z06 probably does not have that problem, at least from my experiences with my C6 6MT. It felt powerful pretty much everywhere.
Bruce AaLee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #51
phusion974
Lieutenant
 
phusion974's Avatar
 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Was this the blue turbo by any chance?




Last edited by phusion974; 08-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.
phusion974 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #52
Simbachinna
New Member
 
Drives: It's Cool
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

I just joined and was wondering if anybody could tell me how to create a new thread?
Thanks Everybody!
Simbachinna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #53
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbachinna View Post
I just joined and was wondering if anybody could tell me how to create a new thread?
Thanks Everybody!
When you read this, then go back to the list of M3 vs. threads, up at the top of the list, right below the subforum name (left side of the page) there is a little button that says "New Thread".
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #54
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Was this the blue turbo by any chance?



Ha!!! That is the car of death!!! Thats it..... Again, amazing car!!!!
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #55
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Your dreaming. There's a huge delay from the time you step on the gas and the time the turbo kicks in, in any gear your in.
I dont know anything about the 911, never driven one, all I will say is once the light turned green, I was def ahead of him in first gear few a very few seconds... Then the damn car literally blew by me as if I was standing still!!!!
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #56
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Was this the blue turbo by any chance?



Oh and where was this taken? In Burbank?
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #57
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
I dont know anything about the 911, never driven one, all I will say is once the light turned green, I was def ahead of him in first gear few a very few seconds... Then the damn car literally blew by me as if I was standing still!!!!
You were ahead in first because the power delivery in the m3 is insantaneous, telepathic to your right foot with no help from turbos. The 911 turbo is viscously fast after the boost kicks in, but to me, the engine in the m3 is more special. NA high revving v8 that screams all the way to redline like nothing else out there.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 02:56 AM   #58
Rshane
M-Flight Member
 
Rshane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,085
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
yup thats the owner of the donut shop on sonora and glenoaks for all you local 818 people. Ive messed around with this car before....ya dont even bother its seriously fast. Hes a real cool guy and a big porsche guy.
Damn, that is the perfect job, this guy has it all...super fast car, and he owns a donut shop, so you know all the cops in the area look the other way when he does some street blasting in his Porsche.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue M3// Black extended Novillo w/ Blue Grey Aluminum trim/DCT/ZTP/ZCW/ZPP/ZCP Premium Sound ///Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Rshane is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #59
phusion974
Lieutenant
 
phusion974's Avatar
 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Ha!!! That is the car of death!!! Thats it..... Again, amazing car!!!!
Lol that's my buddies car.
Not too many blue 997TT's in Burbank let alone L.A. so I figured this had to be the one.
Here is a video I took of his car. Sounds WAY louder in real life.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Oh and where was this taken? In Burbank?
Yup, its in Burbank.
I took these pics a while ago though.
phusion974 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #60
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Lol that's my buddies car.
Not too many blue 997TT's in Burbank let alone L.A. so I figured this had to be the one.
Here is a video I took of his car. Sounds WAY louder in real life.




Yup, its in Burbank.
I took these pics a while ago though.
Sweet... Tell him the guy he smoked in the Interlagos blue E90 On Burbank Blvd one night says whats up.... Ha
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #61
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
I wouldnt say its like nothing else out there. Its not the only high revving car and there are others who pull much harder to redlines that are even higher.
Of course there are cars that pull harder but nothing screams like the s65 not even a gt3.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #62
phusion974
Lieutenant
 
phusion974's Avatar
 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Sweet... Tell him the guy he smoked in the Interlagos blue E90 On Burbank Blvd one night says whats up.... Ha
Loll, I will.
He annihilated me on some fwy runs too. Haha
phusion974 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #63
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Loll, I will.
He annihilated me on some fwy runs too. Haha
Dude, lets all meet up sometime....
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #64
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Of course there are cars that pull harder but nothing screams like the s65 not even a gt3.
Don't know about that, but to each his own. The fact that I own one has nothing to do with it either. I'd say the same (and did) if/when I didn't own one.

This turbo lag thing again! 997 turbos hardly have lag. It will sometimes be minimally present if conditions are right but it is by far something one would consider an issue.

Lumbering along in top gear at a very relaxed pace for some time, then hitting it hard may sometimes create lag. Ripping through gears you won't notice it.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #65
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
 
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

I seriously don't think the turbo-lag is all that bad in the Porsche. A 335i I drove was pretty harsh though.
AngelinIsRich08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #66
phusion974
Lieutenant
 
phusion974's Avatar
 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCL16M3 View Post
Dude, lets all meet up sometime....
Sounds good!!
Haven't seen him an a few months because ive been busy with work but spoke with him about 2 weeks ago. You can usually catch him on Sonora and Glenoaks (Sesame Donuts) in Glendale.
phusion974 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST