BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

EclipsisNA

07-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
bumere90
Grozniy

Drives: Carless

SLRP for Officers

Hello everyone, I am graduating from university very soon, and I have student loans $40K. My plan is to graduate and enlist in the US Army. (have been wanting to do that since I graduated from high school)
My questions are:
Which military branch offers SLRP for Officers?
Why do some recruiters say that there is no SLRP for Officers while others say the opposite?
      07-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Boomstick1491
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
Hello everyone, I am graduating from university very soon, and I have student loans $40K. My plan is to graduate and enlist in the US Army. (have been wanting to do that since I graduated from high school)
My questions are:
Why do some recruiters say that there is no SLRP for Officers while others say the opposite?
Several years ago when I joined the Army, SLRP was not offered for officers, which was a real shame, since I joined with a significant amount of grad school debt. However, the Army began offering student loan repayment for Os shortly thereafter. I do not know the amount that was offered, but I know my friend who joined the Reserves shortly after me was given SLRP. These days, I do not know if the Army needs to incentivize folks to join by offering the bonus, since the job market is so horrendous and retention rates are nowhere near as bad as they were six or seven years ago.

One thing is for certain, there are a tremendous number of military forums (e.g. military.com), where you can find a metric butt-ton of information about current programs from folks with current experience with the topic. I would troll those and see what you can find. Also, be wary of what you hear from recruiters when it comes to officer recruitment; in my experience they know their stuff when it comes to enlistments, but not to officer accessions. I would be as well informed as you can before you approach one. I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have more questions.
Boomstick1491 is offline   United_States
      07-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
ryguy84
Private First Class

Drives: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
My questions are:
Go become an intern for a congress member they will forgive your debt its part of the perk. And its not a joke Im being sincere.
      07-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Where do I start?

Enlisting is not a viable path to becoming an officer. We are about to downsize the force and there will be less, not more ways to a commission. Once you've enlisted the only way to a commission is through a competitive process, no guarantees. Given the need for less officers and with many available through ROTC and the academies OCS will become harder to get into and produce fewer officers. So your question is not one that is germane.

For enlisting there are some bonuses available. I know of no particular plan that pays for previously paid for education. Perhaps in some very low density skills they may but I wouldn't count on qualifying.

What it comes down to is the value of your college education to the military. Except for certain, few skills, it is not something they are necessarily looking for.

If your intent is to serve the nation and possibly get your educational debt paid for, good luck. If you intent is to find a way to get your debt paid there are better ways.
OldArmy is offline   United_States