BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #221
roburado
Lieutenant
 
roburado's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Troy, MI

Posts: 446
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe90 View Post
I for one was a bit underimpressed by this documentary. I did appreciate the exposure it gave to the obsessive nature of German engineering, but I definitely would have liked to hear more about the performance/driving dynamic side of things, as opposed to the friggin interior chimes or the layers of paint on the pedals.
I couldn't agree more. They managed go turn a potentially exciting report into something really boring. It's like a non-musician was trying to explain the appeal of music to non-musician/tone-deaf people who don't get the appeal of music.

I don't agree that the reporter drives an Audi as someone else posted. Sounds more like he drives an "appliance" type of car (i.e., Toyota) or doesn't have one at all.
__________________
E30 1991 318is, Red on Black Leatherette

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
roburado is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #222
jaadoogar
Second Lieutenant
 
jaadoogar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport, 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Just watched the rerun. First of all, I loved this show. It makes me proud to be receiving my 335xi soon (did European Delivery, now clearing customs in NY/NJ).

Second, say what you want about the chimes guy, but it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars. Shows their commitment to detail.

Last, my wife and I were both laughing when the GMC commercial came on. Is there anything in this documentary about slick, hitech, German-engineered luxury performance vehicles that inspires anyone to go out and buy a big ugly truck?
__________________
2011 BMW E90 335xi | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | M-Sport | 6MT | European Delivery 5.24.11
2011 BMW E90 328xi | Deep Sea Blue
E9x Picture Game: 29 points (Grandfather Clock, Natural Disaster, Anti Environment, Minivan Taxi, NFL Stadium Opening Day, Six Banana M, Campaign Sign, Steam Locomotive... EV Charging Station, Extreme Car Sizes, Birthday, Bridal Shop, Boardwalk, Car Insurance, Adjacent Handicap, Gloves, Fast Expensive)
jaadoogar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #223
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadoogar View Post
Just watched the rerun. First of all, I loved this show. It makes me proud to be receiving my 335xi soon (did European Delivery, now clearing customs in NY/NJ).

Second, say what you want about the chimes guy, but it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars. Shows their commitment to detail.

Last, my wife and I were both laughing when the GMC commercial came on. Is there anything in this documentary about slick, hitech, German-engineered luxury performance vehicles that inspires anyone to go out and buy a big ugly truck?
The annoying thing about the chime guy is what a load of crap it was.
I personally found it offensive as there are so many details on the car that obviously weren't paid very close attention to.


CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #224
mjollnir19
Major
 
mjollnir19's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i DINAN 3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,280
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mjollnir19
watched it 4 times this weekend lol
mjollnir19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #225
nonagon
Lieutenant
 
nonagon's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 X3 35i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Arlington VA

Posts: 582
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The annoying thing about the chime guy is what a load of crap it was.
I personally found it offensive as there are so many details on the car that obviously weren't paid very close attention to.


CA
Negative much?
__________________
2012 X3 35i | CB/Oyster | M Sport | Premium | Tech | CW I & II | DHP | Premium Audio | Apps
-----
Past Bimmers: 2008 135i SGM, 2007 X3 3.0si SBM
nonagon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #226
ede92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado View Post
I don't agree that the reporter drives an Audi as someone else posted. Sounds more like he drives an "appliance" type of car (i.e., Toyota) or doesn't have one at all.
The show's host just didn't feel like a "car guy". This matters more than his brand allegiance.
__________________
2014 911 C2 Cab, Considering adding 2er convertible
Past - 2011 328i Convertible 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe (ED), 2003 BMW 530i, 1999 BMW 528i
ede92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #227
Rustler
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 295
iTrader: (4)

The theme of the show was clearly "obsession," which in of itself has a negative connotation. If you're obsessed about something it's too much, if you're passionate about something it's praiseworthy. The show highlighted the obsessive tendencies of the brand to the near exclusion of the core mission: Driving dynamics (actually, it's making money for the stockholders, but their mission is to do that by selling cars that drive really well for a profit). They hardly talked about how the cars drive and perform, hardly mentioned the M division if at all, while spending several minutes with the chime guy (and how weird was the dynamic with his boss sitting there chiming in (no pun intended) every now and then?).

I thought it was not informative and boring. At the same time, it seemed forced, as if it was a paid ad. But how could BMW support all the negativity being secreted by the smarmy host?
Rustler is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #228
Saintor
Colonel
 
Saintor's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MTL, Canada

Posts: 2,384
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
it's great that BMW leaves no stone unturned in engineering their cars
I wish that it was true.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to spend enough time in certain areas. Reliability for example. We still hear about windows regulator failures. If they were obsessed with reliability-by-design like Honda, this problem would be resolved by now. And before you ask, I don't think that is incompatible with driving dynamic.

They also have a tendency to create problems, answering questions nobody asked. Run-flat tires WITH NO SPARE TIRE ROOM (that is the point IMO) is incredible. In order to save maybe 2HP, they have an electric water pump that costs 1500$ to fix instead of 500$.

No surprise that nobody really followed them in this kind of craziness in 7 years.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Saintor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #229
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I wish that it was true.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to spend enough time in certain areas. Reliability for example. We still hear about windows regulator failures. If they were obsessed with reliability-by-design like Honda, this problem would be resolved by now. And before you ask, I don't think that is incompatible with driving dynamic.

They also have a tendency to create problems, answering questions nobody asked. Run-flat tires WITH NO SPARE TIRE ROOM (that is the point IMO) is incredible. In order to save maybe 2HP, they have an electric water pump that costs 1500$ to fix instead of 500$.

No surprise that nobody really followed them in this kind of craziness in 7 years.
My point exactly,

They are showing the idiot chime guy as an example of their OCD approach to engineering and those of us who own the cars are well aware of, and very frustrated by,many unturned stones including (but not limited to) the RFT issue, the "Pothole Explosions" issue, the HPFP issue, etc,

I think that BMWs are very well engineered cars but that "documentary" was a load of crap.

Having owned a wide variety of cars over the years I would have to say that my Lexus SC300 and my wife's 2010 Jaguar XKR showed more attention to detail than my 335i. All are excellent cars in their own way but when it comes to attention to detail BMW has a lot of room for improvement.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #230
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
 
jpirelli's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 + E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southeast/Southwest

Posts: 759
iTrader: (3)

I thought it was OK considering it was less than 1 hour.
jpirelli is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #231
AWe90
First Lieutenant
 
AWe90's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NEPA

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
This was a big dissapointment because a BMW documentary, done well, would be very interesting. BMW is a great brand and has a great and interesting history. The CNBC show did not come remotely close to doing justice to the subject.

CA
^^ THIS.
__________________

2006 330i
AW on black/MT/sport/premium/cold/35% tints/ZHP shifter/OEM splitters/19" Alufelgen SF-71/Contis
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 hers...
AWe90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #232
bulldog x6
Major General
 
Drives: x6 panzer
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: probably work

Posts: 5,023
iTrader: (28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
My point exactly,

They are showing the idiot chime guy as an example of their OCD approach to engineering and those of us who own the cars are well aware of, and very frustrated by,many unturned stones including (but not limited to) the RFT issue, the "Pothole Explosions" issue, the HPFP issue, etc,

I think that BMWs are very well engineered cars but that "documentary" was a load of crap.

Having owned a wide variety of cars over the years I would have to say that my Lexus SC300 and my wife's 2010 Jaguar XKR showed more attention to detail than my 335i. All are excellent cars in their own way but when it comes to attention to detail BMW has a lot of room for improvement.

CA
+++++
bulldog x6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #233
LimeMike
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: N.Central FL

Posts: 252
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
anyone get a copy of this full program OR know where I can view it in its entirety online?! PM me!!!
__________________
LimeMike '06 E90, M6 wheels, Splitters, tint, OEM roof racks, Mtec LED AE, BMW blue calipers, BMW Performance Exhaust, BlackLines, AFE Intake, AA Tune!!
LimeMike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #234
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
 
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

Here you go, a direct download link.
1.02GB, m4v video.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/qFjcQtF
This is much quicker than torrent it...
ohnoyuji is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #235
BMCoupe_782
Bavarian Fever
 
BMCoupe_782's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' e92 328xi TiAg
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY / North NJ

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (4)

it was boring and lacked the luster which we all expected. Didn't really delve into the nuances of the brand and barely touched on driving dynamics etc. The chime bit was stupid and unecessary.
__________________
| ESS n52 Tune | BMW Performance Intake/Exhaust | LUX H8 v3 AE | GP Thunder 8500K fogs/corners | LED: signals/interior | V1 hardwired | debadge | AC pedals | Performance shift knob/boot | CF e-brake | Aero lip | m3 side skirts/spoiler | MB kidneys | Strut brace | Painted reflectors | Painted Calipers/Hubs | 35% 3M tint | Smoked tails | CF Roundels | 19" Miro 942 | Conti DWS | H&R Springs for xi | Bilstein Shocks| Nxt: Alpine Subs/Amps
BMCoupe_782 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #236
lawgone
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Posts: 465
iTrader: (0)

Wow, you guys are harsh. For one thing, they did point out that even with their obsession with detail they make mistakes.

As for the chime, I like it. I've also had 3 passengers comment on how much they liked it, which is odd since normally people don't comment on that type of thing. They said it was soothing.
__________________
2014 335i f30 M Sport, Mineral Gray, Premium, Nav, Comfort Access, M Sport Brakes, 18" Potenza RFT Summer/Staggered
2011 328xi e92 M Sport, Space Grey, Premium, Nav, Comfort Access, BMW Apps
lawgone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #237
jocamryn
Major
 
jocamryn's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 2Fast2Furious

Posts: 1,094
iTrader: (0)

BMW A driving Obsession 1-3 - on Dailymotion


BMW A driving Obsession 2-3 - on Dailymotion


waiting for part 3...
jocamryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #238
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
 
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

BMW: A driving Obsession - CNBC Documentary to air July 13th @ 9PM ET

Here's my upload of the CNBC's vids on BMW.
1 hour of infomercial.
http://www.fileserve.com/file/qFjcQtF

There's other thread on the e90 post

Great vids to watch!
ohnoyuji is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #239
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,553
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #240
powerbarsk8ter
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E90 xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)

Obession with details? Why is it that the seatbelt on the rear seat flaps in the wind with the windows down, and why the plastic piece covering the ceiling light keeps falling off? That is not obseesion, that is ommission.
powerbarsk8ter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #241
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
 
JSTDR1V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

Posts: 2,320
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
I don't know why they spent 10 minutes on the god damn gong.

There are so many more interesting things about BMW than the engineers that spend so much time in their lives getting the "gong" right.
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #242
fatass
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: bay area

Posts: 244
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
I don't know why they spent 10 minutes on the god damn gong.

There are so many more interesting things about BMW than the engineers that spend so much time in their lives getting the "gong" right.
my quick guess is they really don't want to give away company secrets so they sent some engineer who they know can't spill anything about the cars
fatass is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST