BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
No_Country
54

 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC


Posts: 1,848
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
New Owner Help needed.

Hello!

Im a new 1st time owner of a 2011 Competition Edition M3 and Im confused about some options I want. Can someone please school me on what i can do?

From some of the searching Ive done, I think I have a 2011.5 M3. My build date was 12/10 and it appears I do not have BMW apps. Which sucks because I use pandora a lot. As of right now, Im just BT audio streaming it into my car. So no album art or song info is on my navi screen.

Now the dealer told me all I needed was the Iphone 4 cradle. Which they gave me, but pandora wise, I still have to BT audio it in. It plays ipod fine (not sure about album art showing in ipod mode, didnt check) but my iphone get REAL hot using this cradle. It appears there is a new one that has a fan? Did they give me the wrong cradle?

And regarding BMW apps. How can I get in? The dealer is telling me conflicting things. One guys said all I needed was the cradle. Another said there is no way. And I dont know what to believe.

If I can add BWM apps to my car does anyone know how much it cost?

Please help a noob out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Hello!

Im a new 1st time owner of a 2011 Competition Edition M3 and Im confused about some options I want. Can someone please school me on what i can do?

From some of the searching Ive done, I think I have a 2011.5 M3. My build date was 12/10 and it appears I do not have BMW apps. Which sucks because I use pandora a lot. As of right now, Im just BT audio streaming it into my car. So no album art or song info is on my navi screen.

Now the dealer told me all I needed was the Iphone 4 cradle. Which they gave me, but pandora wise, I still have to BT audio it in. It plays ipod fine (not sure about album art showing in ipod mode, didnt check) but my iphone get REAL hot using this cradle. It appears there is a new one that has a fan? Did they give me the wrong cradle?

And regarding BMW apps. How can I get in? The dealer is telling me conflicting things. One guys said all I needed was the cradle. Another said there is no way. And I dont know what to believe.

If I can add BWM apps to my car does anyone know how much it cost?

Please help a noob out.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519258
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
No_Country
54

 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC


Posts: 1,848
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
WOW.. thanks! I hope it doesn't cost TO much. I feel like I was robbed/cheated. And now having to pay more for something that's being offered in newer builds doesn't sit right with me. But I guess Im not the only one feeling that way...

Thanks for making it easy for me. I did search, but I saw a few different options and it only confused me more. I appreciate your advice, as I can see you help out the most. So thank you sir!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
WOW.. thanks! I hope it doesn't cost TO much. I feel like I was robbed/cheated. And now having to pay more for something that's being offered in newer builds doesn't sit right with me. But I guess Im not the only one feeling that way...

Thanks for making it easy for me. I did search, but I saw a few different options and it only confused me more. I appreciate your advice, as I can see you help out the most. So thank you sir!
It won't... your car already have all the hardware required for BMW Apps, especially for Pandora. What you are missing is the software.

Pricing will increase if you also want to have iPod Out (play iPod video in your iDrive), though. Your car does not have the hardware for iPod Out.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
No_Country
54

 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC


Posts: 1,848
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It won't... your car already have all the hardware required for BMW Apps, especially for Pandora. What you are missing is the software.

Pricing will increase if you also want to have iPod Out (play iPod video in your iDrive), though. Your car does not have the hardware for iPod Out.
Cool. Yea I just spoke to them about it. The guy wasnt able to fully explain the price differences to me. He said to come back to the forum and look at pictures? lol.

He gave me one price, and a higher one that included "log in" I think he called it. This is confusing... I just want my car to have ALL the features the newer ones have out of the box. So I suspect I will need the more expensive one.

Do you know if this add on, offers anything else like video while driving? Or no more nag screen on Navi?

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
No_Country
54

 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC


Posts: 1,848
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Sorry for all these questions... But whats the difference between the solution you linked and this solution?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558702

Is one better than the other? Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Cool. Yea I just spoke to them about it. The guy wasnt able to fully explain the price differences to me. He said to come back to the forum and look at pictures? lol.

He gave me one price, and a higher one that included "log in" I think he called it. This is confusing... I just want my car to have ALL the features the newer ones have out of the box. So I suspect I will need the more expensive one.

Do you know if this add on, offers anything else like video while driving? Or no more nag screen on Navi?

Thanks again for the help!
Yes, DVD in motion and no "Accept" screen can be coded with the BMW Apps, BMW Live and BMW Online features.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
kloh
Lieutenant
United_States
28

 
kloh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern California


Posts: 417
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to kloh
response to your PM

Hey Don,

Off topic here, but I tried to respond to your PM, and your account seems to be configured to not allow PM's so I'm posting here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU
Hello,

I cant seem to show any POI's on my 2011 M3. I read your post about unchecking traffic to show them, but mine isnt even showing traffic. I called BMW assist today and they told me they had some convenience package for 199 that offered POI's. But Im not sure if that means, they ENABLE them on my navi.

Curious, do you have the BMW assist convenience plan with your basic BMW assist plan they give you when you buy the car?

Please let me know. My dealer are a bunch of idiots and dont know anything so before I go spending another 199 bucks, I wanted to ask you.


thanks man!

Don

I do have BMW Assist but honestly dont remember if there was a specific convenience package or not. What I do know is that the package I have will expire at some point and if I want to keep getting the ability to send destinations from Google to the car, I'll have to re-up the subscription. I don't have any of the browsing features on my navi though, so I definitely am not paying for everything in the BMW Assist program. I wish I could be more clear for you, but since it's been almost 2 years since I got the car, the details are fuzzy...sorry about that.

In any case, here are some things that helped me get my POI back:

- They do disappear at a certain zoom level, so try zooming in.

- Unchecking traffic in the main area is what did the trick for me. It doesn't matter whether you have traffic checked or not in the smaller side of split screen, so I use that view for traffic when I need it.

- Make sure the specific POIs you want to see are selected to be displayed. I can't remember exactly where this is, but look for something under the options menu. It lists all categories and you can specify which ones you want to see (or all of them).

Good luck!
__________________
ED Vehicle: 2009 E92 M3 6MT | Space Gray, Fox Red Ext, Carbon Leather | Mod Progress: Flickr Photos
ED Tour: Aug 3 - Aug 10 2009. (Trip Blog | Route map).
ED Progress: Delivery Aug 4th; Drop off at Frankfurt Aug 10th; Redelivery Oct 9th.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
No_Country
54

 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC


Posts: 1,848
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloh View Post
Hey Don,

Off topic here, but I tried to respond to your PM, and your account seems to be configured to not allow PM's so I'm posting here:




I do have BMW Assist but honestly dont remember if there was a specific convenience package or not. What I do know is that the package I have will expire at some point and if I want to keep getting the ability to send destinations from Google to the car, I'll have to re-up the subscription. I don't have any of the browsing features on my navi though, so I definitely am not paying for everything in the BMW Assist program. I wish I could be more clear for you, but since it's been almost 2 years since I got the car, the details are fuzzy...sorry about that.

In any case, here are some things that helped me get my POI back:

- They do disappear at a certain zoom level, so try zooming in.

- Unchecking traffic in the main area is what did the trick for me. It doesn't matter whether you have traffic checked or not in the smaller side of split screen, so I use that view for traffic when I need it.

- Make sure the specific POIs you want to see are selected to be displayed. I can't remember exactly where this is, but look for something under the options menu. It lists all categories and you can specify which ones you want to see (or all of them).

Good luck!
Hey Thanks! I think I might have figured some of it out. It appears POIs are only shown on the mini map. I disabled that because I wanted a full screen on my navi at all time when I got my car. In doing so, it appears that POI's dont show on THAT map. Because when I put it back to dual display, I think I saw some POI's on the little screen!

PS: Thank for the heads up on the PMs. I didnt know. Fixed.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST