BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Katie31100
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Porsche
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

M3 Sedan v. Porsche Boxster Spyder

Hey everyone! I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently own a 2010 white BMW m3 sedan and have the opportunity to trade for a 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (white as well.) I am wondering what you guys would do if given this situation. I am pretty confused, so any advice is welcome!
__________________
Currently: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan Alpine White

Previous: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan Space Grey
2006 Porsche Cayman S Seal Grey
2002 BMW 325CiC Convertible Steel Grey
Katie31100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
///Rage
I love ///M
 
///Rage's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: England

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Do you prefer apples or sunglasses?
///Rage is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
fll335
Major
 
fll335's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, X5M
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FL

Posts: 1,197
iTrader: (3)

If you don't need back seats DO IT.
fll335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,154
iTrader: (6)

If you can get away with owning a 2 seater and don't mind the lack of options, I'd get it. They look nice and are fun to drive (only drove an S but the Spyder's got to be a blast).
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
 
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 709
iTrader: (0)

M3 sedan is 3.74258x better than the boxter.
AngelinIsRich08 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

If you don't care about practicality do it! I saw one the other day in the flesh for the first time and the car is just gorgeous. Soooo aggressive and mean looking - certainly not a chick car!
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,612
iTrader: (5)

doesnt the spider have a mostly useless canvas top like a bikini top on a jeep?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

The Spyder is really nice...especially with the CF seats. However, the M3 will blow the doors off it in almost every single category. The Spyder feels much more driver focused than an M3 and the steering felt more direct. However, the front-end felt light to me and it was a bit low on power.

It looks great but I think you will miss the growl of the M3.

-SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

If you are driving a Boxster Spyder in Florida with the top down be on the constant lookout for rain clouds. Getting the top up is a rather slow and involved project. I almost got caught with the top down a few times with an E93 that can get the top up in under 30 seconds. In Florida rain storms of biblical proportions can appear very suddenly,

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
John Tanglewood
Colonel
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' M3 Coupe AW/FR (for sale)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,061
iTrader: (8)

I would have asked if you were limp-wristed.

But i just looked up pics because I havn't seen the new one, and DAMN! ....Looks great! Go for it!
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
SIIK2NR
Captain
 
SIIK2NR's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Dog

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

I was in the market for the Boxster Spyder and you really need to do the top by yourself about 10 times..... then decide.

I had the dealer show me and I wasn't impressed. The top is a Pain in the Ass....period. No way around it. Biggest design flaw by far.

If you can deal with that....everything else about it worth the trade.
__________________
Current: 2006 Lotus Elise SC
Previous:
2008 AW E92 M3 6MT - Sold
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
SIIK2NR is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Erhan
Colonel
 
Erhan's Avatar
 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,466
iTrader: (0)



Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
If you are driving a Boxster Spyder in Florida with the top down be on the constant lookout for rain clouds. Getting the top up is a rather slow and involved project. I almost got caught with the top down a few times with an E93 that can get the top up in under 30 seconds. In Florida rain storms of biblical proportions can appear very suddenly,

CA
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Erhan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
varsity
Private
 
varsity's Avatar
 
Drives: white car, gray car, blue car
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rage View Post
Do you prefer apples or sunglasses?
Come on now, they're both white.
varsity is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
bholloway
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
The Spyder is really nice...especially with the CF seats. However, the M3 will blow the doors off it in almost every single category. The Spyder feels much more driver focused than an M3 and the steering felt more direct. However, the front-end felt light to me and it was a bit low on power.

It looks great but I think you will miss the growl of the M3.

-SZ
When you say it "blows the doors off it in almost every single category you must not care about the fact that the Spyder is faster than the M3 around any track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...er_spyder.html

Check it bitch.
bholloway is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
bholloway
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Have to agree. The Boxster spyder may not be AS fast in a straight, but its got more feel and precision in spades, is a MUCH better handling car (best handling car under 100K) and will be easier to drive and faster on the track as well.
Damn straight.
bholloway is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #17
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (3)

I drove one once. The Spyder is a blast to drive. It is worlds different than a regular Boxster. I personally like the Cayman R which has a bit more rigidity over the Spyder but not quite as light. Both are very driver focused cars and super direct with lots of feedback. You definitely got to know what you're doing if you're going fast around corners with the stability control off.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
When you say it "blows the doors off it in almost every single category you must not care about the fact that the Spyder is faster than the M3 around any track.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...er_spyder.html

Check it bitch.
Did you read the rest of the article you referenced? On the street, highway and drag strip, the M3 will own the Spyder. On a track is a different story, however, I don't think the OP will be tracking it too much. As a DD, not just is the M3 faster but it is also more useful and comfortable. So you check it Bitch.

SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
SIIK2NR
Captain
 
SIIK2NR's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Dog

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

Both of those videos are spot on about the top. I went to the P-dealership and asked him.... "Show me how to put the top back on" (it was off in the show room)....

I watched him uncomfortably fumble for more than 5 minutes which is eternity when comparing to 15-30 second covertable tops......

Honestly, it was a deal breaker for me... and I had to walk away from the car... looked back twice cause it's beautiful...but had to walk away.

This is a weekend car only.... forget it as a DD unless you keep the top on exclusively and depending on where you live. No back seats and little to no trunk space. My S2000 has more room and covertible functionality.

The other downer is that it is 126mph limited with the top up......SUCKS!...

When the Boxster Spyder was introduced....I don't think I've ever been more excited and then dissappointed in my life.
__________________
Current: 2006 Lotus Elise SC
Previous:
2008 AW E92 M3 6MT - Sold
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
SIIK2NR is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
 
DiavelM3's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5280

Posts: 1,025
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
LOL! Rocket Science anyone?
__________________
'12 Ducati Diavel
'06 E46 M3 (sold) | '97 325is - Dinan (sold)
'02 Z3 3.0 coupe (sold)
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
DiavelM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
bholloway
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Did you read the rest of the article you referenced? On the street, highway and drag strip, the M3 will own the Spyder. On a track is a different story, however, I don't think the OP will be tracking it too much. As a DD, not just is the M3 faster but it is also more useful and comfortable. So you check it Bitch.

SZ
Wait... is it possible that I hear an M3 owner... bringing up drag times and top speeds... Isn't the M3 known for its handling and poise rather than drag racing on the street?

I love how you're so hyporcritical in defending your mediocre car. If there is any car that's faster than it in a straight line the absolute first thing an M3 driver says is something along the lines of " who cares that the new camaro/mustang/ etc is faster in a straight line because the M3 isn't about straight line speed. Its about the handling and how the M3 is great around the track because the track is where a car really shows how good it is.

But then when a car is faster around the track then an M3 you immediately bring up M3 straight line stats and sound something along the line of "well sure that car might be better balanced and have better handling, but my M3 is way faster in a straight line and that's all I care about. If I pulled up to a light and raced that car I would crush it.

The fact that the spyder is faster around every track than the M3 shows that it not only handles a lot better, but has the right amount of power to keep up on the straights. Obviously for a car like the M3, which according to you is soooo much faster in a straight line than the Spyder, should have some advantage on a track with some long straights, but it doesn't.

In the end you failed to prove your point that the M3 will "blow the doors off the spyder in almost every category". Its not nearly as fast around the track, and its only marginally faster on the road. But hey, roads aren't for racing whereas tracks are. Who cares if the M3 is faster on the road. That doesn't prove shit because I doubt you're ever going fast enough for the M3s slight speed advantage to make a difference. Who cares about drag times because obviosly you wouldn't take either the M3 or a Spyder to the drag strip. The spyder is faster where it counts and that's all there is to it.

A Bugatti Veyron has a higher top speed than most F1 cars, but does that make it better? I don't care which car you think is better and if you like your M3 that's fine. But when you make such an ignorant statement you deserved to be called out on it.
bholloway is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #22
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
 
Drives: 335i E93 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

Posts: 3,215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIK2NR View Post
Both of those videos are spot on about the top. I went to the P-dealership and asked him.... "Show me how to put the top back on" (it was off in the show room)....

I watched him uncomfortably fumble for more than 5 minutes which is eternity when comparing to 15-30 second covertable tops......

Honestly, it was a deal breaker for me... and I had to walk away from the car... looked back twice cause it's beautiful...but had to walk away.

This is a weekend car only.... forget it as a DD unless you keep the top on exclusively and depending on where you live. No back seats and little to no trunk space. My S2000 has more room and covertible functionality.

The other downer is that it is 126mph limited with the top up......SUCKS!...

When the Boxster Spyder was introduced....I don't think I've ever been more excited and then dissappointed in my life.
I agree with most of your points. I don't think anyone is using a Boxster Spyder as a daily driver but it actually has a reasonable amount to storage space between the front and rear trunks,

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST