BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #89
E90///M3`
Major General
 
Drives: 2008 E90M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Daly City -4- Work///Camarillo is Home

Posts: 5,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [3.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Drew’s VT3 project build is the end result of our work over the past 2 years to design a low compression option for the S65 motor. This design will allow the S65 to run 10:1 CR which will allow the use of higher boost safely on pump fuel. A requirement in our design process was the ability to use the OEM Alusil cylinders in order to achieve OEM oil consumption levels, cylinder noise and engine longevity. The only way we feel to do this is to keep the stock displacement and use a custom made Mahle Alusil spec piston that will allow a factory seal by using the OEM BMW piston rings. This requires a motor that is in perfect working condition as we use the original block and cylinder machining. We do not sleeve or bore out the motor for this upgrade as this will compromise the Alusil cylinder seal quality. As an added precaution we also upgrade the rod and main bearings to add another level of safety to the design.

Outside of the motor we have designed a custom fuel delivery system that will allow proper fueling for the elevated levels of boost we will run and a custom belt drive system that retains the factory tensioner. The combination of these upgrades will allow the Vortech V3 supercharger to make 700+ HP on our existing VT2 hardware while retaining OEM quality drivability to the vehicle.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Roman,

That is about as perfect as it gets in describing the VT3 build process and your approach. This is going to be A LOT of fun, looking forward to seeing you at Targa Trophy next weekend.
so that's when the debut will be

so anxiously awaiting the numbers and everything
__________________
- Jason P
:Have: 08 E90M3, Varis VRS Front Lip, LS3, ESS Supercharger, Arqray Exhaust, Neez Wheels
:Want: VRS Carbon GT Wing & Cooling Bonnet, LCI Taillights
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
E90///M3` is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #90
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,431
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post





so that's when the debut will be

so anxiously awaiting the numbers and everything
No the car will not be ready by then, lol.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #91
E90///M3`
Major General
 
Drives: 2008 E90M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Daly City -4- Work///Camarillo is Home

Posts: 5,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [3.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
No the car will not be ready by then, lol.
damn... well, when she's ready come to the alley and i'll be your spotter
__________________
- Jason P
:Have: 08 E90M3, Varis VRS Front Lip, LS3, ESS Supercharger, Arqray Exhaust, Neez Wheels
:Want: VRS Carbon GT Wing & Cooling Bonnet, LCI Taillights
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
E90///M3` is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #92
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,431
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90///M3` View Post
damn... well, when she's ready come to the alley and i'll be your spotter
Sounds like a plan.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #93
0-60Motorsports
Major
 
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

Posts: 1,293
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Sounds awesome! This buils sounds like a solid one. GL Brother and looking forward to it even more now
__________________
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #94
henryyxyu
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3, F22 228i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

subscribed! interesting build!
henryyxyu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #95
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
This looks like an incredible build!! With ESS' experience and knowledge, I'm sure that your car will be up and running with extreme reliability. I am looking forward to seeing things progress.

Out of curiosity, have you guys taken any closer look into the headers? I know RDSport developed headers, but unfortunately without much popularity or success. Do you believe there is any room for equal length-long tube headers to increase even more power?

Again, thanks for sharing!!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #96
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

looking forward to this drew, good luck!
__________________
Gintani SC ST2+, OE tuned, RPI GT EXHAUST=601WHP, 396TORQUE on 91pump. DYNOJET STD CF. SOLD
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #97
E90///M3`
Major General
 
Drives: 2008 E90M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Daly City -4- Work///Camarillo is Home

Posts: 5,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [3.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you guys taken any closer look into the headers? I know RDSport developed headers, but unfortunately without much popularity or success. Do you believe there is any room for equal length-long tube headers to increase even more power?

Again, thanks for sharing!!
good question. looking forward to Drew or ESS' input.
__________________
- Jason P
:Have: 08 E90M3, Varis VRS Front Lip, LS3, ESS Supercharger, Arqray Exhaust, Neez Wheels
:Want: VRS Carbon GT Wing & Cooling Bonnet, LCI Taillights
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
E90///M3` is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #98
bubu
Bunny Slayer
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT (2013)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Orange County - Southern California

Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

wow

...truly insane

any concerns about the DCT not holding up in 700whp land?
bubu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #99
1cleanm3
Brigadier General
 
1cleanm3's Avatar
 
Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the 818

Posts: 3,606
iTrader: (7)

Wow, congrats!

When youre done....you and Josh need to set up a match.

Just a ?... Youve spent some serious money on this engine, how come you never thought about purchasing a porsche turbo?
__________________
HRE + CHALLENGE + KW V3 + GINTANI + ARKYM + YOKOHAMA AD08
1cleanm3 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #100
pablo e92
Private
 
Drives: 03 Mystic M3 & 08 Cayman S
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Subscribed
pablo e92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #101
808E90
808E90
 
808E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aloha State

Posts: 4,019
iTrader: (21)

Congrats Drew ... Can't wait to see more vids of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Drew’s VT3 project build is the end result of our work over the past 2 years to design a low compression option for the S65 motor. This design will allow the S65 to run 10:1 CR which will allow the use of higher boost safely on pump fuel. A requirement in our design process was the ability to use the OEM Alusil cylinders in order to achieve OEM oil consumption levels, cylinder noise and engine longevity. The only way we feel to do this is to keep the stock displacement and use a custom made Mahle Alusil spec piston that will allow a factory seal by using the OEM BMW piston rings. This requires a motor that is in perfect working condition as we use the original block and cylinder machining. We do not sleeve or bore out the motor for this upgrade as this will compromise the Alusil cylinder seal quality. As an added precaution we also upgrade the rod and main bearings to add another level of safety to the design.

Outside of the motor we have designed a custom fuel delivery system that will allow proper fueling for the elevated levels of boost we will run and a custom belt drive system that retains the factory tensioner. The combination of these upgrades will allow the Vortech V3 supercharger to make 700+ HP on our existing VT2 hardware while retaining OEM quality drivability to the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ@ESS View Post
We always like to be conservative with ratings, that way everyone is happy..
Will you guys still be using the Vortech V3? ... What if you guys push it past the 750HP limit?
__________________
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
808E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #102
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,431
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Sounds awesome! This buils sounds like a solid one. GL Brother and looking forward to it even more now
Appreciate that man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryyxyu View Post
subscribed! interesting build!


Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
This looks like an incredible build!! With ESS' experience and knowledge, I'm sure that your car will be up and running with extreme reliability. I am looking forward to seeing things progress.

Out of curiosity, have you guys taken any closer look into the headers? I know RDSport developed headers, but unfortunately without much popularity or success. Do you believe there is any room for equal length-long tube headers to increase even more power?

Again, thanks for sharing!!
Thanks! The S65 headers are very good as is, I have no plans to go with AM headers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
looking forward to this drew, good luck!
Appreciate that Brotha, any plans on coming back with an M?



Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
...truly insane

any concerns about the DCT not holding up in 700whp land?
We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Wow, congrats!

When youre done....you and Josh need to set up a match.

Just a ?... Youve spent some serious money on this engine, how come you never thought about purchasing a porsche turbo?
Josh is a good friend, no doubt we will do some pulls. No interest in 6MT, I wouldn't mind a PDK, but too much IMHO, I usually get a new car every 3-4 years, but I plan on keeping this one for a good while, but you never know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
Congrats Drew ... Can't wait to see more vids of this car. Will you guys still be using the Vortech V3? ... What if you guys push it past the 750HP limit?
Thanks Man, we are using the V3.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #103
AJ@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
Congrats Drew ... Can't wait to see more vids of this car.





Will you guys still be using the Vortech V3? ... What if you guys push it past the 750HP limit?
The V3Si is capable of 775HP out of the box, even more with a custom impeller.
AJ@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #104
Bob MG
Moderating
 
Bob MG's Avatar
 
Drives: like a muppet
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vienna

Posts: 1,766
iTrader: (0)

Drew, love your work!!

AJ, I want this!! Problem for me high altitude of 5500 and required RPM of V3 blower to make 12 psi. Will you be able to provide a different higher rated Vortech blower that can produce more boost? I would need blower to spin at RPM equal 16psi to make 12 at my altitude.

Last Q.. Is there a new high boost pulley and belt system which ensures no slipping? My 88mm pulley occasionally slipped on my last set up
Bob MG is offline   Greenland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #105
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: tx

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Just out of curiosity, what would be the difficulty of going with a flat plane crank while your in there? Wha benefits would you see?
dizzyj is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #106
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,536
iTrader: (0)

this is how u do it! CANNOT WAIT!!!

*subscribed*
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #107
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

This is a great build. Can't wait to see it completed
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #108
biglare
Brigadier General
 
biglare's Avatar
 
Drives: ?
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ?

Posts: 3,145
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difficulty of going with a flat plane crank while your in there? Wha benefits would you see?
....ummmmm moar CASH ! ! !
__________________
biglare is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #109
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difficulty of going with a flat plane crank while your in there? Wha benefits would you see?
And just out of curiosity, what do YOU think the advantages would be of:

1) Scrapping the cross-plane and having to find a custom-ground flat-plane crankshaft (which would radically change the internal balance and configuration of the engine)
2) Getting custom camshafts to match the firing sequence of the new configuration.
3) Practically re-creating the the entire ECU.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ later , what do you have? All this so you can think your car "sounds more like a Ferarri"??

C'MON MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
....ummmmm moar CASH ! ! !
+100
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #110
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,904
iTrader: (0)

so excited about this.......

interested in fueling setup and pulley setup, my vt2-500 on my z4m uses a new ess billet crank pulley and im seeing no slip on my 85mm pulley ;-)

really excited about this, awesome news Ess....... the v3si is VERY close to Trim so their should be no need to swap the blower.....
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST