BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

07-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Right rear signal light!!!!

I\'ve been getting notifications on idrive saying \"right rear signal light malfunction\". First time it happened I stopped, turned right signal on then got out of the car and it was working. Didn\'t think much of it but kept getting every other day then daily. But now right rear signal light would only work once every five or six times. My dealer (closest dealer) is 75 miles, anyone had this happen? Any DIY for that? Thanks
      07-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
ThunderMoose
Captain

Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I\'ve been getting notifications on idrive saying \"right rear signal light malfunction\". First time it happened I stopped, turned right signal on then got out of the car and it was working. Didn\'t think much of it but kept getting every other day then daily. But now right rear signal light would only work once every five or six times. My dealer (closest dealer) is 75 miles, anyone had this happen? Any DIY for that? Thanks
I had it in my wife's X5. I changed the light bulb and the problem went away. Got the bulb from nearby auto parts store.
      07-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
IPvFletch
Enlisted Member

Drives: Charger SRT8

BMW and Chevy are NOTORIOUS for their wiring issues. I'm not sure where the fault lies, but I CONSTANTLY see rides from these mfrs where a light or two is out, front of back.. Remember the old E36, didn't it have like 12 bulbs in each taillight???
      07-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
fuzzybam
Private First Class

Drives: One with wheels

I always see brand new VWs, Audis, and Chevys with headlight and taillight problems. Never really see BMWs with that problem... Anyway, just buy a bulb and replace both sides while you're in there.
fuzzybam is offline   United_States
      07-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

I got the right front DRL malfunction, and it was working perfectly. Two days later, it crapped out. My only answer is the system is psychic . Next time will just buy a darn bulb when I get the 'warning' .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      07-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
BobsM3Coupe
Captain

Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I had it in my wife's X5. I changed the light bulb and the problem went away. Got the bulb from nearby auto parts store.
The 2011's have LED's so bulb replacement isn't possible. Let the dealer figure out the problem with the turn indicator.
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States
      07-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Replaced 4 drl lights and 5 brake lamps on my 08 in 3 years.
-=Hot|Ice=- is offline   United_States
      07-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
The 2011's have LED's so bulb replacement isn't possible. Let the dealer figure out the problem with the turn indicator.
That's what I thought. I can feel a bulb but it seems more inward to be a signal bulb. I'll attempt changing the one I can feel and see if it fixes the problem but I'm a little skeptical.
      07-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
GOVCO
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E90 AW M3 DCT [Slight Mods]

Quote:
I just had this happen to my 09'. Took it to the dealership yesterday because they said they have to replace the entire unit. I was like really. The guy I take it to also has an M3; so didn't think he was BS'n me. To my surprise, their mechanic said BMW NA makes them replace not only the defective unit, but the other as well. Something about corossion around the seals or something. So, my issue was with the rear passenger side tail light receiving the malfunction notification. They are also replacing the rear driver side tail unit. What a waste. Under warranty so I could care less, but still. Wow!
      07-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
MilehighM3
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Ya there's a bulletin on a certain production window of cars. Both lights have to get replaced, similar to the 1 series situation if anyone else has been down that road. Should be warranty though, so just call ahead and make sure they have the parts in stock before making the trip.
      07-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Captain

Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
That's what I thought. I can feel a bulb but it seems more inward to be a signal bulb. I'll attempt changing the one I can feel and see if it fixes the problem but I'm a little skeptical.
The only bulb in the LCI coupes lights is the reverse light.
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States