BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

07-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
mshab356
Go ///M or go home

Drives: a ///Monster

Straight vs X vs H mid pipe

Hello all,

I just picked up my 2011 E92 M3 two weeks ago. Finally got my dream car I am thinking about modifying my exhaust, since I feel it is too quiet for me (I had a race series Supersprint exhaust on my 2004 Golf R32 which was LOUD). Since most rear sections seems to be around $2000 or more, and since I don't have that budget, I was going to change the mid section to delete the 2nd cats and the resonators. I do not want to do a cat delete because I don't want to deal with replacing it every time I get emissions done. I have a few questions regarding an upgraded mid section and the OEM exhaust:

1) What are the differences (performance-wise) between X-pipe, H-pipe and just two straight-through pipes for the section 2? I don't understand why we have an "X" pipe and not just two straight-through pipes. Seems like straight-through would flow better. I doubt you gain much power anyway from just deleting the 2nd cats and resonators, since it is always the primary cats that give you the most gains.

2) My old Golf R32 with Supersprint race exhaust was loud (drone between 2-3k rpm, too loud for most people in the car). I don't want it to be super loud, as I don't want to attract police or piss anyone off. Something reasonably loud. Would deleting 2nd cats and resonator make it too loud? I've heard yes and no to this question.

I have searched this for about two hours now, reading through a bunch of threads, and I have not gotten a definitive answer.

The Sosi X-pipe is my first option for this mod as it deletes 2nd cats and resonators, but I was also considering having a custom mid section made for me. Thus, I'd need to figure out the pipe diameters for the 1st and 3rd sections of the OEM exhaust, and roughly how much it would cost (if any of you guys knows this info off the top of your head, feel free to post it! ). I hear that it will require cutting of the stock exhaust to install Sosi or make my own mid sections after primary cats, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

-Navid

mshab356 is offline   United_States
      07-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
dvpouldar26
Major

Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

An X and H pipe function to increase scavenging and balance out the exhaust from both cylinder banks. They also tone down the noise compared to just straight pipes. With straight pipes, you'll lose some power on the low end, and have an extremely raw and LOUD exhaust. X and H pipes tone down the volume and make power on the low end.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
      07-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
GreasyGinzo
Captain

Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

2.5" is the diameter of the stock piping and most aftermarket exhausts. I would either get the Sosi pipe or gut out the secondary cats and cut out the resonators. Look at Megan Racing cat back $550 for SS and $600 for Ti tipped version.
      07-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Shaun@AW
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Send a message via AIM to Shaun@AW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
2.5" is the diameter of the stock piping and most aftermarket exhausts. I would either get the Sosi pipe or gut out the secondary cats and cut out the resonators. Look at Megan Racing cat back $550 for SS and $600 for Ti tipped version.

price is cheap anyone ever hear this before?
      07-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
GreasyGinzo
Captain

Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun@AWDMotorsports View Post
price is cheap anyone ever hear this before?
Heard what before? Check out Wheel Addicts he sells them and they are all over ebay as well. Its also the same exact exhaust as the $1700 Agency Power. Not replica...the same exhaust with a different name lasered on to the tips.
      07-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
mshab356
Go ///M or go home

Drives: a ///Monster

Thanks for all the replies! Interesting how X and H pipes produce more low end power. Makes sense though.

I saw the Megan exhaust. Great price! But wasn't very impressed with the sound. Maybe I have to hear it in person? Anyone have it that can comment on the sound in person? Im leaning towards saving up for RPi as it's the nicest sounding one I've heard for a reasonable price.

mshab356 is offline   United_States