BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
sehrgut
Major
Rep
Drives: emthree

Was thinking of getting a squared setup.

I was thinking of getting a squared setup of LM-Rs f19x9.5 et25mm. r19x9.5 et25mm. Is there any pros and cons with doing this cause people tell me all the time, -''Oh no, thats not what the Ms are designed to have, make it staggered''. I am a HUGE fan of staggered setup but I like to try new things.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
I was thinking of getting a squared setup of LM-Rs f19x9.5 et25mm. r19x9.5 et25mm. Is there any pros and cons with doing this cause people tell me all the time, -''Oh no, thats not what the Ms are designed to have, make it staggered''. I am a HUGE fan of staggered setup but I like to try new things.

Thanks
Just curious, but what's the reasoning behind the desire to move to squared setup? Are you tracking the car and looking for better tire life?
I believe you can still have wider tires on the rear even with square rims.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
sehrgut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Just curious, but what's the reasoning behind the desire to move to squared setup? Are you tracking the car and looking for better tire life?
I believe you can still have wider tires on the rear even with square rims.
My reason is because I like the look of having the same concavity front and rear. And all my previous staggered setups I've ended up putting spacers up front.

Let me ask you what the reason is that Ms have to have staggered steup unless we track our cars? Just curious
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

If you want a deep lip up front as well as the back then why not go 19x9.5 fronts and a 19x10 rear ... Lips are gonna be about the same size.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My reason is because I like the look of having the same concavity front and rear. And all my previous staggered setups I've ended up putting spacers up front.

Let me ask you what the reason is that Ms have to have staggered steup unless we track our cars? Just curious
Well the staggered setup compensates for oversteer, allows more traction on the drive wheels and better handling on the turning wheels. Seems like understeer is preferred "safety" wise by BMW.
AFAIK the M3 chassis/suspension is designed to work best with a staggered setup.

True, normally unless you're pushing the limits this won't affect most people (except maybe in wet conditions)

That being said, there are quite a few folk who track their M3's with square setup but I believe most folk track with staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Seems like understeer is preferred "safety" wise by BMW.
And pretty much every other manufacturer out there.
      01-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
sehrgut
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well the staggered setup compensates for oversteer, allows more traction on the drive wheels and better handling on the turning wheels. Seems like understeer is preferred "safety" wise by BMW.
AFAIK the M3 chassis/suspension is designed to work best with a staggered setup.

True, normally unless you're pushing the limits this won't affect most people (except maybe in wet conditions)

That being said, there are quite a few folk who track their M3's with square setup but I believe most folk track with staggered setup.
Oh okay thanks for the writeup. Good info. But except for the safety concerns one could go squared setup without any major problem?

Last edited by sehrgut; 01-17-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh okay thanks for the writeup. Good info. But except for the safety concerns one could go squared setup without any major problem? I guess I'll be buying staggered next as well haha.
I don't think square setup will cause any major issues. BTW what tires do you use/plan on using?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I have a square setup I use for summer/track driving. I also have the staggered stock 19" setup for the winter. I actually prefer the steering feel in day to day driving with the staggered setup. On the track I like the 275 width tires for more front grip and less understeer. Hope this is helpful.