BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
hofmandi
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP

Limp mode - misfire codes after supercharger install

So I am in the process of installing an Active Autowerke supercharger and Challenge/RKP sport X-pipe. Have the hardware installed and also tuned the ECU based on what AA sent back to me. When I start the car, it starts no problem, but quickly goes into limp mode. Below is an example of the codes thrown:

// 1) 2B36 Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 2
// 2) 2B37 Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 3
// 3) 2B3B Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 7
// 4) 2B3C Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 8
// 5) 2B41 Combustion misfire with cut-out several cyl
// 6) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated
// 7) 2796 Motor emergency programm activated

Here is another example of the codes for another start up:
// 1) 2B3A Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 6
// 2) 2B3B Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 7
// 3) 2B3C Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 8
// 4) 2B41 Combustion misfire with cut-out several cyl
// 5) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated
// 6) 2796 Motor emergency programm activated

I clear the codes out and start it again, the result is it goes back into limp mode after a short period of time. The cylinders vary from time to time regarding the misfires. However, the code for cylinder 7 seems to always be present. Sometimes the codes thrown are just for cylinder 7.

I have reached out to Active, however have not heard anything back as of yet. I am unsure how to troubleshoot this... I have seen posts about whole banks being out and various areas to check. Before I rip everything back apart to troubleshoot, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start? Any input would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Forgot to originally add, this is a 2011 E92 6 speed with just over 42k miles on it.

Last edited by hofmandi; 03-04-2022 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Double check all your grounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmandi View Post
So I am in the process of installing an Active Autowerke supercharger and Challenge/RKP sport X-pipe. Have the hardware installed and also tuned the ECU based on what AA sent back to me. When I start the car, it starts no problem, but quickly goes into limp mode. Below is an example of the codes thrown:

// 1) 2B36 Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 2
// 2) 2B37 Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 3
// 3) 2B3B Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 7
// 4) 2B3C Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 8
// 5) 2B41 Combustion misfire with cut-out several cyl
// 6) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated
// 7) 2796 Motor emergency programm activated

Here is another example of the codes for another start up:
// 1) 2B3A Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 6
// 2) 2B3B Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 7
// 3) 2B3C Combustion misfire with cut-out cyl 8
// 4) 2B41 Combustion misfire with cut-out several cyl
// 5) 2B57 Motor emergency programm activated
// 6) 2796 Motor emergency programm activated

I clear the codes out and start it again, the result is it goes back into limp mode after a short period of time. The cylinders vary from time to time regarding the misfires. However, the code for cylinder 7 seems to always be present. Sometimes the codes thrown are just for cylinder 7.

I have reached out to Active, however have not heard anything back as of yet. I am unsure how to troubleshoot this... I have seen posts about whole banks being out and various areas to check. Before I rip everything back apart to troubleshoot, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start? Any input would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Forgot to originally add, this is a 2011 E92 6 speed with just over 42k miles on it.

Agree with Spammy. I assume you had to wire the supercharger into some of the wiring harness as it plugs into the ECU - and I recall on the harrop having to undo one or two of those connections. I wonder if you didn't get them reseated properly into the connector or if something came undone as you were sliding it back into place. also possible you tapped into the wrong wire and sending an errant misfire signal to the ecu. recheck your fuel rails, injector connections, and make sure all of your ignition coils are pushed down tightly and plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Also, throw the battery on a tender to bring it up to full charge or as much as it will hold. A low or failing battery can cause all sorts of ignition related codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #5
hofmandi
Rep

I will start with checking the grounds and go from there. The battery was already fully charged (been on a tender all winter so far). I suppose the battery could be bad, but have not had any issues with it thus far...

Thank for the suggestions so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #6
hofmandi
Rep

Still at a loss with this. Probably will not hear back from Active until Monday. I checked the ground, it is OK. Even ran a temp ground to the engine to see if it was the issue. Results were the same. I have triple checked everything. It is nothing obvious....

The only things wired into the ECU box was for the Methanol injection. The connections are for battery power and switch power from one of the relays in the ECU box. There is nothing that gets wired to the ECU. Everything is controlled by vacuum and preset by Active.

Could it be possible the O2 sensors went bad when I transferred them to the new Xpipe??? Seems unlikely as I was extra careful in doing this and they were working just prior to the install. I would expect different codes to be thrown for O2 sensors, not individual cylinder indicators. Is this assumption accurate?

I checked for vacuum leaks and could not find anything. Everything appears connected and seated from an electrical standpoint. It runs anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds normally upon start up. Then goes into limp mode. The exhaust does smell very rich, but I am no expert.

I reflashed the tune from Active just to be sure. Results were the same with anywhere from 1 to all 8 cylinders being impacted depending on startup. No consistency...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
spammysammich
Major
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Limp mode - misfire codes after supercharger install

Is it possible you have an exhaust leak near the cats?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
hofmandi
Rep

I have resolution to my issue. Active got back to me and the issue was the tune itself. Needed to be adjusted further for the new spark plugs that came with the kit. Have everything running upon startup with no codes thrown. Need to finish putting the car back together, schedule some dyno time, and wait for the Michigan weather to turn.

This summer is going to be fun!

Thanks all for your help!
Appreciate 1