BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

APracing rear hats repainting. Suggestions?

Fella's,

I got this issue I've posted about before with my rear hats of the APracing BBK that were discolored by wheel cleaners.

I have 3 choices and I'd like some advice.

1. Buy two new hats and re-install them with new hardware. ($300+ for both hats)

2. Uninstall them, clean and scuff up the paint, re-paint with high-temp caliper paint and re-install. Note! Stilen suggested to NOT paint the surface of the hat that mates up with the disc. That small amount of paint thickness could put the disc out of tolerance and cause issues. If I do re-paint them, will high-temp paint hold up to weathering and washing??

4. Uninstall the hats, take them to a local shop that I found that will do "Thermal Disposition" painting, which was explained to be a high-temp paint system process for engine parts such as heads, exhaust. Very durrable, long lasting. ($150 ~ $200) estimated.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Fella's,

I got this issue I've posted about before with my rear hats of the APracing BBK that were discolored by wheel cleaners.

I have 3 choices and I'd like some advice.

1. Buy two new hats and re-install them with new hardware. ($300+ for both hats)

2. Uninstall them, clean and scuff up the paint, re-paint with high-temp caliper paint and re-install. Note! Stilen suggested to NOT paint the surface of the hat that mates up with the disc. That small amount of paint thickness could put the disc out of tolerance and cause issues. If I do re-paint them, will high-temp paint hold up to weathering and washing??

4. Uninstall the hats, take them to a local shop that I found that will do "Thermal Disposition" painting, which was explained to be a high-temp paint system process for engine parts such as heads, exhaust. Very durrable, long lasting. ($150 ~ $200) estimated.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Thanks!
Have you thought about anodizing? It holds up well under repeated heat cycles and washes.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Have you thought about anodizing? It holds up well under repeated heat cycles and washes.

Yes, well I know their anodized but from what my vendor, that sold me the BBK, said it's like $700 or so to have that done. Doesn't make much sence to pay that much when two new rear hats cost about $300 and Thermal disposition painting cost $150. But if that is the case, then new hats is my best choice. I'll have to see if anyone local here in Albuquerque can anodize them again for a good price.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Yes, well I know their anodized but from what my vendor, that sold me the BBK, said it's like $700 or so to have that done. Doesn't make much sence to pay that much when two new rear hats cost about $300 and Thermal disposition painting cost $150. But if that is the case, then new hats is my best choice. I'll have to see if anyone local here in Albuquerque can anodize them again for a good price.

Cheers,
If you can remove the hat on your own, you local anodizer should be able to do it for less than $150 for both hats, that includes stripping the existing material and prep the surface. Certain colors may cost more.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If you can remove the hat on your own, you local anodizer should be able to do it for less than $150 for both hats, that includes stripping the existing material and prep the surface. Certain colors may cost more.
Gonna look into it. Hope that's the price the.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0