View Single Post
      02-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_Horwitz View Post
Greater than $90,000? I'm going to check the car out, but he told me it's basically brand new. We'll see. Thanks guys.
i dont think it is far to compare sticker price of a car, especially a used and old one, despite being a classic, with its actual market price or value.
For instance, I bought a an s500 designo brand new in 1999 for 150k, the car has a 150k sticker; a brand new c350 has a 50k sticker...
when i would compare the 2, subconsciously i would think, hands down i should take the s class, its a 150k car normally, and the c is a third of that...but i think that is the wrong though process.and could pick it up for 15k, a savings of 135k, based on your thinking...but is it really a saving?
i was gonna buy a modified cayman s or a 911 4 s, instead of an m3, but i would be buying an 07 or something, and i was thinking like you, i would save 60k off the car if i bought it used, so id be getting a more expensive car for less...but thats not really the way it works; your not comparing apples with apples; which i am sure you know, but i wanted to say it anyways.

i fully understand your point of view, but when you asked "worth 90k", thats in comparing a brand new tt vs an m3...youre not saving 90k off this car, your saving 90 k off the price of this car i dunno 6 years ago... it is used, its value is 55k, so if you are saving anything, you are saving the difference in price between the m3 and the tt...i dunno 15k max i guess and the depreciation of the m3, if you want to be fussy.
in the end its all upto you, but i think the idea of comparing the sticker price of a used 6-7 yr old vehicle, regardless of condition, will only skew your perception.
Appreciate 0