09-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #90
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
Whether it makes someone happy, and being able to afford something are completely differnt and the reason people buy things they can't afford is because they are making themselves happy in the short run without worring about the long run. Sure, you can spend every dime you have in your 20's and spend it on cars and other things, but most people who do that regret it when they get into their 30s because they realize how much better off they could have been if they hadn't.

And yes, not buying a house, or at least saving towards one, is almost always a poor decision since owning a house is almost always the best single investment you can make. Justifying spending all your money on a car because based on the justification of not being able to buy a house, doesn't mean you can afford the car. It probably really means you can't afford to live in the area you are living, regardless of having a six figure income.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. A house is nothing more than 1 more monthly payment. $400k mortgage is what, $2000 a month with $0 down? That's a pretty decent house in a lot of markets (or a -very- nice house in say, Austin and some other markets). I don't need a house until I'm married, and I'm not married yet. I wouldn't marry some worthless woman who had no marketable skills either -- she'd have to earn at least $70-80k to get my attention, and have perfect credit. Since my money can already support my lifestyle, her money then becomes a mortgage payment and savings. Pretty simple huh?
Appreciate 0