View Single Post
      04-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If you want a walk-around lens I HIGHLY recommend the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L. The lens is sharp and it's fast. If I could only bring one lens on a trip it would be that lens. While it won't give you that wide angle, it gives you more reach. It is the best all-around lens for the things you mentioned above (car meets, events, general photography, etc.).

If you main focus is on automotive stuff (car meets, shows, etc) then the 17-55 is also a good lens (it's not an L series lens though). The 17-40 L lens is also good. Again those are good if your main focus is to shoot things that are close by. The 70-200mm lens IMO is not a good lens for automotive stuff because it's simply too long. Think about how far you would need to stand away in order to capture a picture with several cars in it. Also it's gonna be a PITA for events (lugging that lens around is no fun).

So if you want a lens SOLELY for automotive stuff then get the 17-40 or 17-55. If you want a very nice and sharp walk-around lens then get the 24-70mm. The 70-200mm is good for sports, tracks, as well as wild life (in which case you might wanna get something longer like 100-300mm).
Appreciate 0