06-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #127
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
Obviously the world is full of different people resulting different opinions. I try my best to understand how others can have the opinions they have, but this is one (in relation to a comparison with the M3 as per the original post) I can't possibly understand.

Over the past 5 years, I have driven a 996 Targa and a 997 C2S. I am getting an M3 coupe because I need a more practical car with a useable back seat.

Having driven both 911's and the new M3 extensively, in my opinion, the M3 is 7/10 the performer that the 911 is (and appropriately, about 7/10 the price).

Under 5000 RPM, the M3 feels slow; the 911 has noticeably more torque in the lower RPM range, which makes for more fun throughout the daily driving range (and better fuel consumption as a positive side effect).

The lower ctr of gravity in the 911 dramatically improves grip in turns. It feels like a go-cart compared to the M3.

The 911 has considerably more traction, and applies its power to the road better than the M3 does.

The 911 has WAAYYY better steering feel.

It is not as easy to drive a 911 fast. (The best way to appreciate this is to track a 911 and a Cayman back to back. The Cayman is much easier to drive - you don't feel the rear weight bias fighting your normal instincts. With practice though, the 911 is a more rewarding drive. If you don't want to track your car regularly and learn how to get the extra performance out of the 911, a Cayman really is a better choice.)

The M3 is a good compromise to me, but I am going to miss my 911.

Those are my $0.02

P

Oh how our opinion are so alike.

Especially the experience of the Cayman vs 997 on a track. As a car you can simply jump into and drive reasonably close to it's limits the Cayman is probably the best track car for the ordinary man, the 997, especially in rwd form requires much more practice to get right.

You may feel that the 997 is ultimately the more rewarding but in my opinion tracking one is a bit like playing a round of golf, you string a few shots together and you feel on top of the world, only to slice your next one and bring you back to earth with a bump, well that's the pot luck you have taking corners in a 911. It's best to still approach it was a smooth driving style of slow in and fast out, try to man-handle one, even to recent ones and you best be bloody quick witted.

Give me a Cayman any day on the road, it's much more balanced and manageable, especially equipped with a LSD and it's got every bit the steering feel. The only thing missing in my opinion is the kudos of owning an icon and the price tag to match.
Appreciate 0