05-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #37
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
Well said... I did read that post... I can remember looking at the rod bearings on my e46 m3 when it had the recall done ten years ago... It had 67k miles on it and when I got to see the old bearings they looked 100% normal with no visible signs of anything unusual... They looked really good! There were no streaks, no layers missing, no pitting, and no cavitations... They looked like what a bearing should look like...

Once again, there were only a small number of cars affected in the e46 M3 bearing saga similar to today's drama, but with one notable difference...

The difference between the E46 and E9x M3 in regards to bearing quality is that we did not see a 99% prematurely worn bearing quality of removed bearings in the e46 M3 as we are seeing now... In fact, I can remember seeing so many perfectly fine bearings removed from e46 m3's for the bearing recall that it really seemed like the problem was isolated to a very small percentage of cars..

Why do all of the bearings taken out of e9x M3s for preventive maintenance look so bad? Why are they so cavitated in certain spots primarily on the upper shells?

The e46 M3 was just as volatile and high strung as the e9x, so why did the vast majority of those bearings look normal?

Is this just the quality one should expect from a high revving v8 motor? I can't imagine that the answer is yes...
No one till today can pin point 100% the true cause of the BF (Not even BMW)
So let's guess ,like everyone is doing on here ..

For me personal and I guess...It's a combination of design flaw and faulty engine assembling .
This means no average in reliability..
That's why we see S65's with + 200K on it while others failed at 6K .
Some are lucky ...some are/were out of luck .
"The German lottery"

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0