View Single Post
      10-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #107
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
The 0-40 can take the 275-280 temp but I was hesitant on the recommendation for it because I do not have pressure data at that temp. I have run it to 230 many times and it still has 35psi so I would guess probably 27-28 psi at 275, which is just fine.
Start getting down to 20psi and it starts getting skechy, the bulk of that type of damage comes from exiting the track and lugging the motor back to the pits.

hmm, but now that BMW is coming out with the 5-30w oil recommendation, can we assume that running the M1 0-40w should no longer be a concern?

The other question that I have is for folks that already have a high copper/lead count from their oil analysis, would switching to the thinner oil at this point be potentially more harmful than good? I am thinking that since the bearing is already worn to the copper, this would indicate a bigger gap/clearance between the bearing and journal. Switching to a thinner oil at this point would have a higher likelihood of a sudden lost of oil pressure due to too much clearance? Can the expert chime in on this?
Appreciate 0