View Single Post
      07-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Well. If you want to know if your ram is straight up dead, just right click my computer > properties > Device Manager and see how much ram it is listing there. If its less than what you know you have, one of your sticks is dead. You can also see this at initial boot-up of your computer when it POSTs, Pre-Operating System Test. You know, when the computer counts up all the ram it finds and does basic system checks on drives and the processor. Sometimes it can flash by kinda fast so just try to watch for it.

However, I've never really heard of ram killing itself while just being used normally. And WoW isn't a very intense application to run, especially just at login. Also, if you were really having a ram issue, it wouldn't gracefully shutdown your computer. You would more likely be getting blue screens of death or just straight shutoff.

So, this leads me to ask a new question. Is it possible that you have picked up some kind of really nasty virus? Pretty rare for a virus to actually take control and shut down your computer but not impossible. I would suggest doing some virus and spy-ware scans before you go buying new replacement parts that you may not even need. Plus, the virus/malware solution would explain why it just suddenly decided to start acting up.