05-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #52
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Many thanks, how would you compare the steering and also does the M 'feel' that much quicker than the 335 ?(seat of the pants)
As far as I know all US-bound M3's come with Servotronic standard, which makes the steering feel extremely light at parking speeds. Way too light, but at least it noticeably firms up at speeds over 30-40mph and even more so at higher speeds, to the point that it's very well judged when you are really going fast.

Turn-in is much better and there is virtually no understeer in normal driving conditions.

To me, the 335i has always had a heavily artificial feel at low speeds, almost like the steering rack was filled with sticky syrup. This also caused it to not have sufficient self-centering (which the M3 does).

I think neither steering is perfect - the last best steering in a BMW car to my mind was in the E46 ZHP which was amazing. But I prefer the M3 steering in all its aspects to the 335i steering.

The M3 does feel quicker in the first 3 gears at any RPM over 2500-3000. There is no lag of course and since there is much less suspension dive/squat, when you press the gas (especially with the EDC on the firmest setting) the car simply shoots forward horizontally, without the slightest loss or hesitation. The 335i by comparison squats a lot on the rear on acceleration, the front lifts up which perhaps magnifies the feeling of acceleration. But the M3 simply streaks forward - it's hard to describe but you will no doubt be able to feel it - and love it.

I don't miss my 335i at all - not even in the slightest aspect.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0