View Single Post
      07-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
enron29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

We have a tenant leasing our house with a 1-year fixed lease agreement. On July 7th, we get an e-mail from her that some things are going on around the house (not anything to do with the house), and that she will not be renewing her lease, and has been advised to find a new renter for us so she can move out possibly Sept. 1st. The end of lease agreement is Nov. 20th.

So my wife and I take that as she is wanting out early, and start posting our house for rent. The current tenant is compliant with us showing the house to new possible renters. We find new renters. Then she says that she is being forced to move out. I draw up a Lease Termination Agreement ending her lease on August 19th, which she eventually signs. Meanwhile, I have a signed lease agreement for the new tenants as well.

However, the new tenants notified me yesterday that even after signing the new lease agreement, that they are not going to be moving in on August 22nd. So I post the house up for rent again. Then I get an e-mail from my current tenant questioning why it was back up.

Now she is saying that she is terminating our Lease Termination Agreement, and is threatening to sue my wife and I saying that we are forcing her out and that we are holding her deposit over her head. First, we have never said we are keeping her deposit, and it even says so in the Lease Termination Agreement. Second, we are not charging her any penalty fees for terminating the lease early. Nothing. I have her e-mails and texts saying that it's ok to show the property, and that she could possibly move out before Sept. 1st. Now she's changing her mind, again.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated if anyone has some, because my wife and I are at a loss right now.
Appreciate 0