06-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I didn't see where he spun twice. Did you mix him up with the guy in another thread now.
You are right!!! Sorry for that...I did cross another post into this one. A bit more commentary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
2) I ran 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 PS2s, and they worked very well for street tires. Although they started screaming after they got hot-they are supposed to do that...they are street tires, a screaming tire is a happy tire!!!, the grip remained consistent throughout the day- throughout the day, yes...street tires will not "fall-off" one session to the next like cooked r-comps. It usually takes 'laps' for a tire to lose it's grip, but the PS2s are quite good.. Nonetheless, I feel I have pushed them to the limit. -I say this with only the best intentions...if this was your 2nd track day, then you did not use the tires to their limit. If you ran stock brake set-up, then you did not use the tires to their limit. If you were not faster than 50% of the cars in the advanced group, you did not use the tires to their limit. If those PS2s don't have blue sidewalls and crusty edges, you did not use them to their limit.
Again, no rub intended...the point is just that important.

3) The brakes (all stock) worked very well. There was a slight bit of inconsistency with the pedal travel at times but nothing major. When braking at high speed after a long straight from around 130mph to 80 mph they felt a little bit lacking... but at the rest of the corners they worked very well. I will probably get some BMW-approved competition pads soon.

4) The car is wonderfully forgiving. Thanks to the balance chassis and MDM, I was able to recover from some pretty serious oversteers. This is the beauty of the M3... what a wonderfully balanced car!With MDM on, and your 295s in the rear, you should not be having any "pretty serious oversteers". With MDM on at LRP I found it quite difficult to rotate the car to throttle steer. The only way to have a 'serious oversteer' with MDM on is from not being smooth and/or making a real mistake. Going to an r-comp tire would make that grip-breakaway much more severe...because they don't have the same level of audible warning (squealing) and when the grip goes...IT GOES.
Where a street tire will increase it's singing the closer it gets to breaking away, giving you quite a broad range of warning...the r-comp allows you to reach incomprehensibly attainable levels of grip with little sound. Often, the only time one really hears an r-comp squeal is just before they slam the wall.
Again...only meant to stress the point.

5) 'Normal' power setting worked best for me. As T Bone discussed before, the 'Power' and 'Power +' are a bit to sensitive to the driver input and may sometimes upset the chassis.-Power+ is useless, I agree that it is waaay too sensitive for proper throttle modulation. I do find the 'Power' setting to be spot on for track, though. It allows for crisp throttle response, quick throttle-blipping for downshifts without the dulled-down 'normal' setting. I don't even use the normal on the street...it's really numb.

In sum, I am very happy with how the M3 drove on the track on a 80 deg + day. Every instructor who drove my car used the word 'balanced' to describe the chassis, and I was finally able to appreciate it on the track. Next time I am going to have upgraded brake pads and tires to push the car's and my limit further.

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!

Last edited by ace996; 06-14-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0