07-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Oh come on, Legion, that's a load of crap. Just because you're a photographer does not mean you are the last word on the assessing the visual reception of the M3 in different colors (obviously something that is completely subjective).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Well like I said, there's an overwhelming majority of people who agree that the M3 does not look good in dark colors because of the subtle bulges and also It's worth menoning because of the use of black trim which doesn't contrast with black.

I've spoken to several dozen salespeople that specialize in M3's and even without soliciting them there is a huge consensus that lighter colors are better. In fact I have never heard a salesman specializing in M3's recomend black, and I have always heard salesmen recomend the lighter color.

Like I said black is good for cars with striking shapes, like Lambos, all my cars used to be black on purpose before I went to all red cars so I'm saying this both from an informed artistic standpoint, from the standpoint of having done a mountain of research and interviewed more people than I can count, and from an experience standpoint.

I really don't think black is the M3's color. Black is good for cars that have lots of silver trim and unique shapes. Not for cars with black trim, black vents, and that have lots of form but little shape, which perfectly describes the M3.
Exaggerate much Trying to win an argument that is inherently subjective by using very exagerated claims and the old arguments like "all SA's agree with me" or "even my wife thinks so" is pretty weak.

Please explain where you get your information that an "overwhelming majority of people" agree the M3 does not look good in dark colors? I always find it hilarious when people think that just because they think something then EVERYONE surely must feel the same. And you have spoken to "several dozen" sales people who specialize in M3s... wow, you spend a lot of time canvassing opinions from salespeople who will tell you what you want to hear to sell something. To find "several dozen" M3 salespeople would involve a lot of work. Glad you are so dedicated to proving your preference I know you think you are an authority on this but that doesn't change the fact that color preference on any car, including the M3, is subjective and opinions will vary regardless as to whether an "authority" on the subject "knows" best and has it confirmed to him by several dozen salespeople.

Sarcasm aside, it is great that you prefer lighter colors on the M3, and lots do, but really crazy exagerations like this don't do much for your argument. I would bet (although I do not have real evidence either) that the split of white vs black M3s on this is relatively close and representative of what the market would be. There are a LOT of black M3s here so clearly lots of folks actually prefer the black. Lots prefer the white too... probably a higher number but not an "overwhelming majority". I would also bet that if black wasn't more difficult to maintain, there would be a LOT more people picking it... so even if there are more white M3s out there, it is impossible to know how many are purchased because the person buying doesn't like to have to maintain a black car even if they like it as much or more than white. Bottom line is that although I agree that light colors show off the lines better, there isn't much that supports your assertion that light M3s look better and are overwhelmingly preferred.

I have owned both an AW M3 and a JzB M3. Outside of the upkeep for the black, I actually prefer it looks wise... well, that might be a stretch as I really like both colors for different reasons. I like the AW because, as you say, it does show the lines better. I like the JzB better because the car looks more aggressive and sporty. But that's just my opinion, ymmv. But, hey, I have talked to over 30 sales people who only sell M3s AND the owners of several BMW dealerships that agree with me so it has to be true

Last edited by gthal; 07-30-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0