View Single Post
      03-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I recall reading an opinion article a little while ago about the possible future need for a minimum income in society. The reasoning for it was due to a lack of low skilled jobs of which many have been, or will be automated. Those opposed to the article stated people will then need to learn new skills and/or get a higher education to find jobs elsewhere. That is of course, assuming there are high skill jobs out there to be filled. Another issue is there will always be people who are only capable of menial labor.

Supposedly many high skilled white collar jobs are ripe for automation as well, which the article mentioned will further the need for some type of minimum income because there won't be enough jobs to go around for the entire growing world population, which is a scary thought in my opinion. Some people supposedly see a utopia with a world full of jobs being automated because in theory it frees up mankind to enjoy much more leisure time. Personally, I think a situation like this would lead to chaos. It was a pretty fascinating read with the discussion it spurred. I'll see if I can find it again.
I do believe that a universal basic income will be needed in the future.

Low income jobs are disappearing and so are white collar jobs due to automation. The future of employment is not as it is today. Even if you wanted a job, you wouldn't be able to find one unless you have a very high education and skill set. (scientists, engineers, doctors etc.) Everything else will be done more cost effectively and better by automation. So even if you wanted to work for McDonalds, McDonalds wouldn't want you. In the future, there will be a lot less jobs than people who want a job. Since the population of the world is increasing, you'll end up with mass unemployment.

The big question is, how will this minimum income be paid for? Bill Gates has a good idea - tax the companies that automate jobs. For the jobs being replaced, tax them the same as income tax earned by the employee. The idea needs some refinement but it is a good idea. It'll make companies think twice about replacing humans and it'll provide funding to help those who are displaced.