07-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Agreed. Too many variables to encompass in the limited poll options, but thanks for elaborating in the thread. Your 2011 might idle better because of improvements to the idle actuator? I thought i read somewhere that some 2008s had a bad idle valve or something.
Yeah, it came with a bad idle valve. That was replaced at 1,1XX miles, so I ended up having my break-in service done early, since it was only like 75 miles off and the engine was being worked on anyways. After that, the car idled fine, I just feel that the car idles a bit better on the new one. Call it placebo if you want, just a gut feeling.

I also feel that my 2011 feels more eager to pull harder than my 2008, but I seriously attribute that to more of a placebo effect. It's not like I could really tell, as I babied the hell out of my 2008, rarely took it to within spitting distance of 8k RPM let alone redline within ~28k miles, so I don't really know much about how well that car pulled.

My current 2011 M3, with only 4.4k miles on the clock, has seen 6 or 7 track days. I took the 2011 all the way to red the moment I got it back after 1,200 mile service, and I've been driving it hard ever since. My 2008 never even got close to a track.

Feels great so far though, no issues. Too few miles to tell, but it doesn't see daily activities so it won't rack up miles that fast anyways. I think that it's best for these cars to be driven hard, so that, like MAERD TEW said, they don't become accustomed to being run poorly.

I may run it hard, but I do take care of the car aside from that. I purchased it after all, and I plan to have this car for many years. I fall into the "since it's the last N/A ///M car" camp.

Last edited by LateBraking; 07-20-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0