03-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #100
Greg FEightytwo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW GT4 M4 and X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Putting customers first, it's rare we find the time to work on our own cars.

Now that race season's on a small hiatus, we can focus on some projects that have been on the back burner. one thing that's always irked me are the E9X M3 shifter paddles, especially on the track.

Requirements
- Extended/longer paddles for easier shift operation
- T6 Aluminum Construction
- Ergonomics: easier to reach with fingertips, shorter "throw"
- Rear pocketing for easier finger positioning
- Aggressive appearance

Improvements

1. Shorter reach/angle. IMHO, the paddles needed a shorter reach, like seen on E46 M3 models. Angling the paddle closer to the steering wheel makes shifting easier, and less obtrusive.

2. Extended length. Allows for a larger range of hand positioning on wheel's circumference, compared to OEM paddles.

3. Rear pocketing. This allows for the driver to easily find the home position for fingers at all times, especially when exiting a turn.

4. Aggressive appearance ("Bullet holes").

Now we have a shifter paddle that hints of what's under the hood, as well as a bit more user-friendly. The new feel is simply awesome on the street, can't wait until we can get back out the track.

SoCal locals, feel free to drop by and sit in the driver's seat to see what you think. We would like your feedback.

Update 2.25.13 - Completed Paddle Shifter Run now shipping!

----------------------------

Here's an video of the installation procedures, for those unsure of the steps needed:

Note: Key must be in OFF position during entire installation process. If unsure, simply remove the negative battery cable.

Feel free to respond with any questions.

Love these.. I found out that the smg paddles are plug and play for my 135is DTC. I bought the oem paddles and the aluminum levers with holes.

Wish me luck on the install. lol.
Appreciate 0