pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by parham2652 View Post
that's what I was thinking of doing, but isn't it much cheaper to decide before you lease if you want to buy?
I would think that depends on the interest rate.
  • Say, interest rate with lease is lower. EDIT: lower than financing
  • EDIT: This doesn't apply if you have the cash to pay the car upfront. Paying no interest is the best thing. Unless the finance/ lease rates are pretty low and you like keeping the cash available. (Or because you can get a better return in another way, etc.)
  • Pay the lease payment on a monthly basis, which in total equates to the depreciation amount with the lower interest rate.
  • When the lease is over, you can decide if you want to keep it or buy it out.
  • If you want to buy it out, pay cash and voila, you have not spent more.
  • Key is to negotiate based on total price of car, from invoice up, regardless of method of paying for it.
  • In addition, if your car gets damaged during the lease period, you don't swallow any of the depreciation if you give it back. I may be paranoid, but this has happened to me. Then I decided to try leasing and did as I described above.

This won't work if the lease rate is not attractive though.
I don't have the cash to buy the car upfront and I think it is better for me to just lease the M3 and then buy it at the end like you are saying. That's why I got a 328i and leased it. It is my first BMW of probably many more in my future. I wanted to see if I like BMW and see if I would get sick of it or not.

The main reason for me suddenly thinking of getting the M3 is because I would like the V8 engine and I love the design of the E92. I don't want to regret not having the M3 in the future when only the next gen is available for order (I don't want to buy used). Even if I end up paying a little more, I think it is worth not regretting missing out on the E92 M3 in the future. Thanks for the long, explanatory post.

EDIT: Just to reiterate, I would not be getting the M3 (most probably for lease) until around June. So lease rates will be different? Better hopefully?

Last edited by pn_e92; 10-03-2011 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0