View Single Post
      09-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #61
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvacha View Post
Fundamentally the E60 M5 and E63 M6 are not much more technological than the E92 M3. I would call them pigs, not technological pigs. The bloat in these cars is weight and size more than technology IMHO. I have been a fanatical fan of my E39 M5 and frothed for months awaiting news on the (then new) E60 M5. I was hugely disappointed and stayed on the sideline, hoping the E63 M6 would be better. It wasn't. Bloated for sure, but in my mind they even failed the GT test. I frequently drive thousands of miles in a single trip and these things simply can't do the miles unless you tow your own gas trailer. Sorta sad I think. The E92 M3 was BMW's last chance to sell me a new car - otherwise I was going to run the E39 into the ground and move on to some other brand. I haven't driven one yet but I perceive the E92 M3 to be the next generation M5 more than the next gen M3. I am happy that whether readers agree or not that EVO placed the E39 M5 in their top list and I am further happy that the E92 M3 bests the E60 M5 and E63 M6.

For years BMW has steadfastly refused to do an M7, claiming that the size and weight of such a car wouldn't fit the ///M brand philosophy. The current M5 and M6 are bigger than the earlier 7ers they refused the convert to M. The fact that the E60 and E63 are more portly then older 7ers yet somehow qualify for ///M treatment shows you just how much the brand has been compromised
Good post. E39 M5 is a great car and can still hold it's own against any competition. It remains the best allround car BMW ever produced. IMO, The E60 version is a huge step towards AMG and away from it's own heritage. My reference to technological pig was my way of saying I am unhappy about it's mass and it's electronic and software excess.
Appreciate 0