12-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #48
mamadub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
You could definetly put run-flat tires on your car next time around when you need tires. Some real enthusiasts would never put them on and I am sure on a track they are not as good and potentially not as soft or comfortable but I had a set on my last bimmer and I actually thought they performed better. The more rigid side-walls inherent in a RFT provides very sharp cornering and zero side-wall flex, which is perfect for any spirited (non-super hardcore) driving such as around the city etc.

Especially if you have EDC and a comfort mode or even normal mode, the RFT's will not be any less comfortable.

If you really like the security of the RFT (especially being a woman and getting stranded) than I would just go for a set of RFT next time.

Personally I do not because they are twice as expensive and I go through rear tires like there is no tomorrow. I redline my car every chance I get and accelerate as hard as possible within legal limits every chance so to me its just not cost effective. However I get the sense you are not racing around the city redlining your car!

Lots of great RFT to choose from as well in high performance summer brands. Good year and michelin make some nice high end RFT
Thanks for your response.When I need new tires I will definitely consider RFT.I got in the car last night with my daughter, put the top down and we were off to look at Christmas decorations. Guess what light comes on? You guessed it, low air in my right front tire. Really, I could have screamed. We couldn't see a nail in the tire, but I tucked it away and will deal with it this morning.

I really did take comfort in thinking I had RFT. I would never drive a car without a spare and now I really have to evaluate where I take the M3 from now on. I read a bit on the link someone posted about making a spare tire, but with the size of the truck on a vert, can one even fit in there?

Cheryl

Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers

Last edited by mamadub; 12-06-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0