First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
3.B) We floor it, and use whatever the engine can generate. The engine burns all the fuel it can possibly burn. Whatever energy that would have been used to run the alternator is now available, and is used to accelerate. So we have “slightly” more power, and accelerate slightly faster than we would have if the alternator was still running. In other words, the energy freed up by putting the alternator offline is transformed to higher performance (and it is still expanded not saved). There is NO net energy savings, and mileage is not improved.
Without knowing this for sure, as we are all guessing, I believe that you have made some critical errors in your thinking. We safe fuel because the alternator is not being powered when accelerating by the engine, instead by the battery. Even if we go full throttle, and as you stated the "saved" gas that we do not use for powering the electronics, is now used for acceleration. So, we accelerate as quickly as possible, meaning that we reach a higher speed quicker and go a greater distance. My point is, that even though the saved fuel is burned during an acceleration, we go a greater distance and accelerate quicker, thus the gasmileage improved.

To present the opposite, an engine without alternator, picture a scenario where all electronics use 10% of the power by the car. We now only have 90%, not all 100% to accelerate and reach a higher speed. This means we go a shorter distance at full throttle and burn more fuel to reach a certain speed than we would have, if we would have had 100%.

I hope someone understands the point I am trying to make.

Either way, BER does in fact save fuel.

BMW created Efficient Dynamics, because it is supposed to SAVE FUEL with greater power/greater performance cars at the same time!!
BER does exactly what Efficient Dynamics is all about: IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Best regards,

CSL
Appreciate 0