GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
BER system and fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
LMAO, it goes on...I asked the BMW teacher at my school about that system, just out of curiosity...and he said that it would'nt improve MPG significantly to raise average MPG, vs. a car that is equipped with it.

"it was an idea designed to save the robbing of power during performance driving, so that people don't risk the bright idea, of underdriving the alternator with pulley kits"

"many E46 M3's came back withproblems that came of a result of aftermarket pulley's, that underdrive the cars charging system. Not always the brightest idea on a car, with more electronics than their home"

I am assuming that these people changed the pulley's back out and took the car back to the dealer and got work done under warrant. (Bastards)
You and your teacher do not understand the system as it is described by BMW. This is new as far as I know; it's not the same as on current Ms where the AC compressor will disengage under hard acceleration. Did you actually read BMW's description? They say it will save fuel. So, either they are lying (hard to believe with the scrutiny this car will receive) or you are wrong. Nothing personal, I just don't think you are reading exactly the way it is designed to perform.

Bottomline here is that it won't improve MPG (eg; 24mpg average vs 25mpg average) And thats all I stated.
Did you actually read BMW's description and understand it? This is not like the system on current cars where the AC compressor will disnegage under hard acceleration. This is new, as far as I know. BMW says it will save fuel. Either they are lying (hard to believe given the scrutiny this car will receive from the press) or you are wrong. Nothing personal, I just don't think you are understanding the system I see described.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0