View Single Post
      07-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #32
Rennteam
Rep
Drives: M3 Cab DKG

Thanks for your numerous replies, guys. I really appreciate it.
I'll be in direct contact to BMW this morning, apparently my dealer is worried about this incident too. We still think it is some sort of a software bug but my dealer is going to run some diagnostics on it and we'll see.
The fact that it seems that it happened to other people before(YES, it happens VERY seldom, only in a certain defined situation) because the engine cannot stall with DCT in auto mode(at least it shouldn't), indicates a software problem.
Yes, the idle rev is very low on my car and sometimes it drops down to 500 rpm or slightly lower when I hit the brakes before I come to a complete or almost complete stop at a very low speed. I don't know if this is normal.

The engine stops and DCT enters N mode, this is for sure, I don't know the reason and it shouldn't happen.
Regarding "S5": I always press the button slightly below the DCT "shift" knob until I get all five LCD bars lightning up. This is only needed with auto mode, in manual mode I always have five LCD bars since I also have the POWER button active and set to Sport mode. I hope this clarifies the confusion.

The main problem is that my dealer has no clue what the problem could be since DCT is very new(note: I live near Munich and my dealer has close ties to BMW) and the M3 Cab they sold is the first DCT car they ever sold.

Btw: a little information for M3 Cab owners. BMW offers the M Driver's Package(the one which raises the Vmax from 250 kph to 280 kph) for the M3 Cab too, I get the unlock code as soon as I hit 2000 km(first service).
This also includes a driving school package but it is NOT mandatory as wrongly stated by other sources. I don't know if this package is available to US owners too, just wanted to mention that the M3 Cab is ready for it, no changes/mods are necessary. I talked to somebody at M and he told me that the car hits TRUE 290 kph with this package, the speedo will be showing up to 308 kph depending on tire type and pressure. Sounds great to me.

Another hint: my M3 Cab had no HiFi package/etc. installed, just the Navi Pro system with standard speakers, what a shame. BMW apparently offers now an ALPINE retrofit system which includes an amplifier and two speakers for their standard system. With this retrofit, the sound is much better, so if your car came with the standard speaker system, you may be able to retrofit something better and something which doesn't mess with your car's electronics/wiring. It is apparently just a plug'n play job.

I'll keep you updated with the DCT engine stalling issue.
Appreciate 0