10-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #29
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
The nice thing about nitrogen in track tires is that they're not going to gain or lose pressure depending on how hot they are. Set them to your desired pressure and go.

oh and -

I am going to fill my tires with helium in order to make my car lighter in the corners.

wat
All gases obey the same ideal gas law. This is one of the absolutes in the Universe.

pV = nRT

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law)

If they get hotter, they will expand/increase pressure the same, whether they are a mixture of gases or a single gas. Nitrogen fills may eliminate water vapor, and issues associated with that, but to say that that nitrogen filled tires stay the same pressure, whereas compressed airs don't, is hogwash. If they stay the same pressure at the track, you might want to use a little more of the right and middle pedal

The only exception to this is rubbing snake oil into the tire wall. Fortunately, I have a supply of New Mexico Rattler XSP for sale, much better than the crap from Arizona.

Nitrogen fills are a rip-off. If I were paying $20(+) for a few cents of Nitrogen, I'd be convincing myself it made a difference too...and not releasing the precious elixir to the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0