04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #51
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The issue right now is that, regardless of getting all the parts and installing them (all the existing iDrive connectors did not change from 2008 to 2009), there is no official programming available to make this work, in case that there is a miscommunication of components once you plug the CIC.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to plug everything and see what happens. I think that the Nav system, radio, CD Player, HD Radio and HDD functions will work right out the bat, including the new iDrive controller. My guess is based in that the new controller works with the old iDrive, which tells me that the communication protocol data packets must be the same between the 2008 iDrive and the 2009 iDrive. So all the functions within the CIC should work without programming; at least the sucker should turn on once connected. However anything that communicates audio in or out the CIC may not (iPod USB, Assist, Sirius).

....SNIP
Technic,

Are you saying that the new iDrive controller can be swapped in for the old one and it will work without any programming at the dealer needed?

Is it as simple as a swap - remove the controller from the panel, unplug the old controller, plug in the new one and insert back into the panel?
Appreciate 0