Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will probably take the course to avoid the license skill test (bonus is the added skill benefit you all mention). I'm just surprised I have so many moms and dads here. I was just sharing my excitement and first impressions of the bike. Instantly assuming I'm not capable of riding and insisting I take a course, otherwise I'm guaranteed to meet my doom is annoying. I believe it's possible to ride successfully (and know how to manage in a crisis) without taking a course. Besides, it's not what this thread was about.
Once you start riding in traffic you will have a better understanding of why those of us with experience recommend the class. On a bike you are invisible to cars. I have been street riding for more than 30 years. It's not a matter of "if" you go down, it's "when" will you go down. Do what you can to minimize your risk. Another benefit of the MSF course is a discount on your insurance. Learning to ride is easy. Learning to be safe around cars is a never ending education. Some advice I was given that has proven itself, always dress for the fall. If I get on a bike it's helmut, full leathers, boots, and gloves. Always. Skin graffs and washing gravel out of road rash sucks bad. The more you learn the more fun you will have riding.
Appreciate 0