03-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #31
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp17 View Post
All the additives things are true.... BUT..... if you want to be sure of the gas you are getting, then go to CORPORATE OWNED gas stations.

Independent Owners can have mulitple branded gas stations in there Network. They purchase gas from JOBBERS or distributers. These Jobbers are distributing many brands of gas. Depending on the relationship of the main Owner of the Gas Staion(s) and the Jobbers Company, current prices throughout the gas brands and what brand stations the Owners owns, they switch it up and bill one of there different stores to save anywhere from 2cents to even 10cents a gallon (YES it adds up quick)
+1

Furthermore, corporate owned gas stations also have control mechanisms in place to ensure that the quality adheres to their standards accross thier network (to avoid reputational damage which can create a greater liability and/or actual loss). Quality in private gas stations is down to the individual owner(s), so its more of a bet who you chose and who you trust. Of course there are honest individuals and tricky corporates, but "generally" I adhere to the above logic, unless of course I know / trust the specific private gas station.

Here in Greece there is also a blacklist of all doggy gas stations i.e. gas stations which have failed random quality checks conducted by the state. This is very helpful for the consumer of course, but it does not and cannot contain all doggy stations at any given point in time.

The above are proxies indicating what to consider in getting good quality gasoline but in any case you can NEVER be 100% sure (i) of the quality of gasoline you get (water / sulphur / other harmful content), and (ii) whether you get what you pay for (eg you pay for 98 octanes for V-Power here, but is it really 98 octane?).

Bottomline, it is best to conduct your own analysis (by taking samples and analysing using a gasoline purity analyser - costs something like $1,800 in its basic / portable form), or simply don't bother and be relaxed about it!!!
Appreciate 0