Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Each generation M3 has had its own sound. The E46 and E9X being the most distinct (IMO). The E46 had that nasty metallic race engine sound (and "rasp" as some called it). Many did not like the rasp at all - even many hardcore M guys who owned the car. Hence all of the aftermarket exhausts with "rasp elimination". Of course the E92 at full clip is a true banshee of a V8, albeit with a somewhat conservative exhaust volume. BMW places more thought on the sound of their cars that most of us can imagine. That effort is even heightened for the M series cars. I have every reason to believe that the sound from the new M3 will be unique again, it will have a true Motorsport sound and I can guarantee it WILL be desirable, by M enthusiasts and BMW fans in general.
I think you are spot on for everything above with one exception -- that which I've emboldened -- and from what is already being said/posted, it's probably very safe to say that there will be a significant defection factor where M enthusiasts and owners go elsewhere thanks to BMW's decision to offer an M3 that has much more in common with run-of-the-mill BMWs than was the case with its M3 predecessors (e.g. NA motor, redline increased over previous generation). And then there's been talk of "no manual transmission" in the F32 which, if realized, would simply be akin to rubbing salt into open wounds.

Quote:

This pattern of so much doubt for the M3 repeats itself like clockwork across many different criteria and across every generation. Funny thing is that all of the naysayers and critics are ALWAYS silenced. Some call me a fan boy, I simply call it confidence and observation.
You are correct about the recurring pattern of criticism and how the naysayers have been either brought around to embracing the product or silenced. Through every generational introduction I have witnessed that behavior. Three times I've found myself with an opposite view of the naysayers and detractors since I was very much looking forward to the next M3 with great interest, confident that whatever M Division produced was going to be something that was a better product within the parameters that its production philosophy trumpeted as peculiar to its M BRAND. Now, for the first time in my life, I am not on the side that I have customarily been on since what is already known is that the next M3 will not be cut from the same "cloth" as the previous four generations. And I dare say that I am not the only one that will be disillusioned with M Division if it offers an M3 that breaks with the winning design philosophy that has made the M3's so special for decades.

Quote:

The car will not have the most torque nor power, it will not have the best interior nor luxury. Finally it will not be the fastest and it will not handle the best. However, as an all around package it will be very nicely placed for the price and will eclipse the current car in nearly every metric that matters. So unless cylinder count is the only thing that matters, have just a touch of faith.
My faith is that M Division could achieve that improved all around package with a NA motor. The fact that turbos are replacing NA M motors is harder for me to stomach than would the inclusion of AWD on the M3.

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 12-27-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0