View Single Post
      06-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #139
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
What acknowledgment? I also don't understand the 'increase credibility' comment?

Rod bearing failures can happen to NA cars, and if you have an engine with an underlying problem supercharging it will speed (there is the pun again) things up, and increase the chance of failure by adding a lot more stress to the motor.

We all know the risks, and if you look at the available data (this site is only a small sample of course, but not when it comes to SC owners), we've seen that these kits are pretty reliable.

But if shit goes wrong, you are out of luck, the steep cost to play. But all things considered we see very few supercharged M3's with that problem. But yeah, the warranty is out the window.

But I don't know what any SC company has to acknowledge here? No secrets here, we all know the risks.
I am willing to bet that a number of people assume that if a particular kit is marketed, then it has been tested for safety. I am also willing to bet that many people don't know about inherent weaknesses in the stock motor that may put the motor at increase risk when boosted. I do think there are a number of people who get into this level of tuning without understanding all the implications.

I recall once a number of years ago, when I was involved in a civil legal issue. My attorney cautioned me about the potential economic costs of my actions with regards to his own legal fees, and how they may escalate. I appreciated his transparency on this issue.