Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
atta boy!
i'm interested in seeing if this rear kit has as noticeable of an impact as the front did.
Back in 2012, the AP kit that I bought was a used one. And it's a bit of an odd story, but the fronts and rears of that kit came to me separately. The fronts came first, and then the rears came a couple months later (because the seller was having them refurbished by AP in England). So, I installed them separately and ran the fronts on track several times before the rears arrived. Driving the front AP kit for the first time on track was literally an "Ah ha" moment---the 6 pistons, race pads, SRF all combined into an awesome experience. Plus they looked awesome too! haha!

Once the rears were installed, I felt that the difference versus OEM was welcome, but subtle. The car squatted better during hard braking, but it wasn't a night and day experience like the front AP vs OEM.

My first inclination would be to say that the Essex rears will be a subtle change because I already had AP's on the car. But I got surprised by the front Essex kit.

And when considering the rears, I was only thinking about braking power, and not considering that there could be a significant weight difference that could be enough to affect other things like acceleration or the suspension. The weight difference simply caught me by surprise. I just looked at the Essex website, and their claim is that the 9449 kit saves 17 lbs from the OEM rear of the car. So, if I just saved 25 lbs over the Stillen AP kit, I guess that means the Stillen AP kit was actually 8 lbs heavier than stock? hehe ok. The rear caliper was quite a bit larger than OEM, and maybe the rotor was bigger/thicker or something? Anyway, that's an interesting tidbit.

So, now I'm just gonna say----we'll see!
Appreciate 0