View Single Post
      03-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #113
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Most of you are too young to even have seen one of these on the road!

Fiat 131

"Fix It Again Tony" ...FTL!!!

I don't have a pic, but my wife brought one of these to our relationship as well. A 1977 131S Strada. Oh, the joy. Changing gears was like rowing a truck, it made up for speed with noise, had a leak under the distributor that dripped oil onto exhaust for smoky accents, a collapsed exhaust melted the parking brake cable "on", so had to cut that, parking up against trees/curbs/signs from then on since there clearly was not enough compression to prevent it rolling away on a 1% grade, paint was flaking and fading where it wasn't missing. The leather was still good though...

Almost forgot - it had some sporadic electrical distribution block problem that would make it just stop at random. Sometimes it would restart after 5 minutes, many times after a 2 day rest. Finally found some stoned British dude in Opelika, AL who not only could sort it out, but had a spare master block to rewire in. As an aside, this was after the oil smoke, before the parking brake issues!

We got $300 in trade against an '87 Maxima.

The only good news was this made my earlier '72 Capri, '74 LeMans and '72 VW Bug seem simply sublime in comparison......

Last edited by Georgeair; 03-30-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0