08-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
I tend to agree with you on most aspects, the only real issue I have with the S4/S5 is weight - at over 1700kg DIN (vs ~1550kg DIN for M3) they give away a reasonable amount of weight.
There's no denying the Audis do weigh more but on the road this is less of an issue. So unless the track is your main interest then forget about the weight of these cars and if trackdays are your thing then look else where anyway.

Quote:
IInterior - I prefer the M3 with new iDrive, although I have piano black and extended leather which makes quite a difference. Ride quality on the M3 is definitely better than my old RS4 (which had permanently stiff Sports Suspension Plus option), but I'd imagine the S4/S5 would ride more along the lines of a 335 than an M3.
I only had normal leather trim but did have carbon firbe look leather, personally I would never place the 3series as a great place to sit, in my opinion Audi has the best interiors of all German brands.

Quote:
IAnd what's with the Audi S-Tronic being slower than the manual gearbox? - DCT and PDK both improve standing start performance - guessing that launch control is absent from the S-Tronic
DSG in the S4 doesn't offer a launch control so that's the reason for it posting a slower 0-60mph, though everywhere else it will be quicker. Again I say if drag racing is your thing then there is much better cars to be had than either the S4 or M3.

But given the price difference and how much of an improvement the S4 has made I honestly would have a hard time justifying the M3 over a similarly equipped S5 with all the goodies available with the S4, especially when it gets the SCv6.
Appreciate 0