04-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #25
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
nice. I was leaning toward the D40...seems like a no brainer when compared to the G10 (the other camera I was seriously considering). More potential for the same amount of $. I can get in for under $500 and get better lenses as my skills and needs improve. Thanks
I bought a D40 in May last year and was very impressed initially. However as I got into photography more, read articles on the web and magazines and viewed other peoples work I soon got camera/lens envy.

A good photographer will do amazing things with the D40, I know, I have seen some great photos done with this camera. But depending on your outlook to photography you may like me find yourself in six months upgrading. Subject to your budgets.

Therefore the D40 or Canons equivalent (I think 1000D) is a good place to start but I would suggest in looking to upgrade the lens from the kit lens as soon as possible subject to your budget. Buy the best you can justify spending or afford. The lens can be carried forward into any new camera from the same brand. The only problem with the D40 it cannot autofocus some of the better lenses in Nikons line up that the better bodies can as it doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body. So only Silent Wave Motor lenses can autofocus on this camera. They can still be used but you will need to learn to manual focus every shot, which is no bad thing, just more time consuming. Especially for candid spur of the moment shots.

I have now bought a D90 for many personal/budgetary reasons. It is good for me for the money, but not right for everyone. The D40 does win for being smaller, lighter and less risk if lost or damaged over more expensive models. My D90 is larger, heavier and a bigger risk if lost or damaged. Consider this if using on holidays/traveling when a $1000 camera may appeal to scumbags. I have also added 28mm, 50mm prime lenses to add to the stock 18 - 105mm lens. I also carried over a 55 - 200mm VR lens which I bought to compliment the D40. I'd like to swap the two longer lenses to some more pro level, faster f/2.8 lenses, but at £500 -1000 + in the UK I'll need to wait a while. More skills needed to justify the £$'s.

As for Ken Rockwells site .... I use it for reference and take many things he says with a pinch of salt. He raves about things other reviewers hate and vice versa. It's a good site to learn some new info and apply it to your own preferences. No one persons advice is gospel.

Go buy a camera and start enjoying a great hobby. Remember if you make a small error in purchase there is always ebay to recoup some money back.
Appreciate 0