08-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #46
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I know what you're saying, BMW is reminding me when Merc put AMG on just about every car they produced and IMO it didn't even come close to representing what AMG really was in the 80s, for instance the AMG Hammer.

Now, I think BMW made a mistake by making the "M" X-series - personally these cars are not Ms at all. But this little 1-series M is really starting to get my imagination... especially after the latest undressing tease. You have to admit, it's looking quite attractive... those extended wheel wells... yum. Also, and although a turbo (eek), this car reminds me much of my e46 M3, which IMO was BMWs best M ever. The e46 M3 was a true sweet spot - best car I've ever owned and amazing fun. My e90 M3 is amazing, but a bit fat... So we'll see... next year I am thinking of moving away from BMW for a P-Car, but this little 1-Series M... has got me thinking. I miss having "fun"... tossing a fast little pocket rocket around...
Those are some good points, and I can see your perspective on this. The car actually looks interesting and not typical 1 series (IMO) ugly. If we grant those points I think there's a really good case to stay away: the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) and carbon build-up from direct injection.

The carbon issue is present in all direct injection engines (easy to search) and the extent of that issue remains to be seen over time. (I think I recall Bubbles saying his 335 got slower, weaker, poorer MPG, and had detonation issues--I could be wrong.) But in any case it's not an issue I'd want to deal with.

The HPFP is a major fail. BMW had to extend the warranty to 100K miles on the N54 due to the ongoing failures. And we know how they hate to admit anything, so it's a big issue. The damn thing just fails, leaving your stranded who-knows-where or it fails when you need it (like in traffic). When it doesn't do that it's trip after trip to the dealer for replacements. Lots of folks have gone through a series of these pumps--check over at E90 post. And given BMW has acknowdged the issue it's not a problem that appears bigger than it is due to selection bias on forums.

Yet again it doesn't look like (I'll admit we've gotten a glimpse only) they've gone with Brembos or something more akin to a Porsche-level braking system. Come on, if Ford and Mitsubishi can offer these.....

Now, a smaller, lighter, more nimble car with the S65 in it? Sign me up now. Turbo? No high RPM? HPFP? No way. When it's time to consider selling the M3 I'll be looking at Porshe (never going to sell the Z4M).
Appreciate 0