08-25-2007, 07:42 PM   #44
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Devo, this is your initial post that got this discussion started. It is similar to many other posts that have been written by others recently. The way I read this is:

1. I can afford a 911.
2. I would buy a M3 if it is not priced higher than $55k.

And, what makes me think most of these posters are posers in one way or another is the inherent contradiction in those two statements. Why would someone who can clearly budget $80k for a car be so concerned about the base price of a much cheaper car if the cheaper car turns out to be what he/she "wants"? (and we went through the whole residual dicussion, where the 911 clearly costs more to own however you look at it).

Tell me if I am misinterpreting that sentence.
You are misinterpreting my statements. You are taking that post too literally. It was a general statement, partly made in jest as to the price of the M3. I thought I clarified that several times. Of course, I am not fixated on a $55,000 dollar number. If you want clarification, consider what i said in one of my last posts.

There are numerous factors which will help me choose. One example is if P gives the 911 400 ponies. Another is what the actual cost of the M is. Yet another is how I felt about the M after a test drive and a visual. My choice will not be limited to these considerations, but these are a few that will help.

Or, you can view it like this, if the 911S were to remain @355 and the M comes in around $55-60; I'll likely go M. Does that help?

We have discussed the residuals, however, we haven't agreed on that topic. That's fine. I'll value another opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I am clearly OK going with a much more expensive car if I feel it is worth it. I will be able to form that opinion with upcoming info on both of these cars.
Appreciate 0