10-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #78
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
So just to recap, no confirmed bearing issues past the '08/early '09 yet, just mystery erratic ticking that's not loud, rythmic, and obvious like previous confirmed bearing issues? I'm interested in this because I'm wondering if there really is a problem, or if its just "car hypochondriac" so to speak. I too think that main bearings would be obvious, and it sounds like the noises being described are subtle to the point that people aren't even thinking there's a problem until they read this thread.
As stated earlier in this thread (and below), it's not rhythmic. I don't think this is a case of "car hypochondriac"... at least not about the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE46 View Post
Nope. The noise is not rythmic. This is not the average "car hypochondriac" noise. If you listen to the videos, you can clearly hear the sound although not as good as in person. I pulled into a drive thru the other day and the guy taking my payment made a strange face. I asked him if he heard the ticking noise, he said "yeah, right away.......like something was wrong with the way it idled". He has seen the car plenty of times before and this was new to him. As I stated before, I had this sound last year and then it went away. It has come back around the same time as last year, which makes me think it might actually be related to the thermal expansion/contraction of different materials being sandwiched together.

At least I hope thats all there is.
Yes, I hope so as well, but I still want this fixed. It's one of those things that now I know about it, it annoys me.
Appreciate 0