06-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #77
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK599 View Post
When you say "Remove the pad wear sensor. It is clipped onto one of the brake pads. Just pull on it and it will come out. The chances are the tensioner clip will remain in the pad. Make sure to get it. They are not sold separately, and if you lose it, you'll need to buy a new sensor."

Are the pad wear sensors reusable?
Are the tensioner clips removable and essential?
When you swap to track pads, do you guys attach a sensor? if not, what happens? do you just receive a brake light? aka are pad wear sensors necessary?

Thanks
Are the pad wear sensors reusable - Yes.
Are the tensioner clips removable and essential - Yes and yes, unless you want or care about warnings/errors on the console.
Re: Track pad swap, do we attach? - I no longer do. See below.
If not attached - you get an computer error. Car works as normal.

I re-used my sensors until I lost the little metal tensioner clip or the cable system failed in some fashion (they are cheap $18-$22). I eventually got so sick and tired of having to frig around with the cable system that I have since disconnected them front and back and simply cut off the sensor to expose both wires, twist them together (system shorted out to believe all is well) tape them off and tie wrap them up. Only makes sense to do this if you track often and are very aware of your pad usage. Otherwise I dont recommend anyone doing this.